Acceleration on inclined plane

In summary, an expert would determine the acceleration of a block on an incline plane by using a Lagrangian approach and adding the upward acceleration of the incline plane to the gravitational acceleration.
bongobl
Hi guys I am trying too find a formula to figure out how I would find the acceleration of a block on an incline plane IF that plane itself were accelerating in the +Y direction.
I am not even sure which frame of reference to use since the acceleration is in 2 dimensions. This hinders me from being able to draw a free body diagram

Does anybody know how to go about finding the acceleration of the block (in cartesian vector form)?
Thanks
-Alex

Attachments

• inclineWithTheta.gif
    inclineWithTheta.gif
    2.3 KB · Views: 614
Physics news on Phys.org
Is the acceleration of the plane given, or is it to be determined by the force from the block?

If it is given then just remember that acceleration is a vector. So you can just add the known acceleration of the plane to the unknown acceleration of the block relative to the plane to get the total acceleration and you can still write Newton's 2nd law. The movement of the plane shouldn't change the free body diagram at all.

If it is not given then I would use a Lagrangian approach.

Likes Ahmad Rezq and Vatsal Sanjay
I think it can be done in Newtonian mechanics since the problem states that the acceleration of the plane (and i hope it doesn't mean the acceleration of the c.o.m only) is only in the +y direction. Of course this means there is some sort of constraint that prevents the rotation of the plane around its c.o.m (like that the plane is moving between two vertical walls).

bongobl said:
Hi guys I am trying too find a formula to figure out how I would find the acceleration of a block on an incline plane IF that plane itself were accelerating in the +Y direction.
Such as if the incline were fixed to the floor of an accelerating elevator? (The simplest case.)

If so, I would use the accelerating frame of the incline, being sure to add the appropriate inertial pseudo force due to the acceleration. (Of course, you have several options.)

If the inclined plane is accelerating upwards at a rate of "u" m/s^2, then let g' = g (gravitational acceleration) + u (inclined plane upwards acceleration). Solve as if the plane was not accelerating, using g' instead of g, then when completed, add the block's acceleration vector with respect to the incline plane and the upwards acceleration of the inclined plane with respect to the groung to get the total acceleration vector with respect to the ground.

Related to Acceleration on inclined plane

1. How does the angle of an inclined plane affect acceleration?

The angle of an inclined plane does not affect the acceleration of an object. The acceleration of an object on an inclined plane is determined by the force of gravity acting on the object and the mass of the object, not the angle of the plane.

2. What is the formula for calculating acceleration on an inclined plane?

The formula for calculating acceleration on an inclined plane is a = gsinθ, where a is acceleration, g is the acceleration due to gravity (9.8 m/s^2), and θ is the angle of the inclined plane.

3. Does the mass of an object affect its acceleration on an inclined plane?

Yes, the mass of an object does affect its acceleration on an inclined plane. The greater the mass of an object, the greater the force of gravity acting on it, and therefore, the greater the acceleration.

4. How can you increase the acceleration of an object on an inclined plane?

You can increase the acceleration of an object on an inclined plane by either increasing the force of gravity acting on the object or decreasing the mass of the object. This can be achieved by changing the angle of the inclined plane or by using a lighter object.

5. What is the significance of acceleration on an inclined plane in real-world applications?

The concept of acceleration on an inclined plane is important in many real-world applications, such as determining the speed of objects rolling down a hill, calculating the force needed to move objects up ramps or hills, and understanding the motion of objects on inclined surfaces like roller coasters or ski slopes.