Acceleration on a hill (both up and down)

In summary, a sports car is accelerating up a hill with a 16.0° incline. The coefficient of static friction between the wheels and the road is 0.87 and it is the static frictional force that propels the car forward. The maximum acceleration that the car can have is determined by finding the net force acting on the car and applying Newton's 2nd law. The mass of the car is not given, so it can be represented by "m" symbolically. To solve for the acceleration, the equations FN=ma=mgcos\theta and fs=FN\mus are used. By plugging in the values and solving symbolically, the acceleration is determined to be 10.82 m/s
BATBLady

Homework Statement

A sports car is accelerating up a hill that rises 16.0° above the horizontal. The coefficient of static friction between the wheels and the road is µs = 0.87. It is the static frictional force that propels the car forward.
(a) What is the magnitude of the maximum acceleration that the car can have?
(b) What is the magnitude of the maximum acceleration if the car is being driven down the hill?

Homework Equations

FN=ma=mgcos[tex]\theta[/tex]
fs=FN[tex]\mu[/tex]s

The Attempt at a Solution

Attached is the pic I've been using to figure this out. I'm somewhat lost at how to proceed though.

Attachments

• physics.doc
    29 KB · Views: 416
Physics news on Phys.org
Find the net force acting on the car. Apply Newton's 2nd law.

I've been trying to do that. I know I'm trying to find acceleration, thus the equations I'm working with should be the ones I gave. However, I need the mass for both of those and I'm not given it (at least that's where my line of thought is).

BATBLady said:
However, I need the mass for both of those...
Maybe you do, maybe you don't. :wink: Just call the mass "m" and keep going.

Hint: Solve for the acceleration symbolically before plugging in any numbers.

The way I've figured it, it'd be:

9.8cos16/8.7=a=10.82 m/s2

I put the answer in the system and it doesn't work out. Where am I going wrong?

Do it step by step. What's the force acting up the hill? Down the hill? What's the net force?

Related to Acceleration on a hill (both up and down)

What is acceleration on a hill?

Acceleration on a hill refers to the change in velocity of an object as it moves up or down a slope. It is affected by the force of gravity and the angle of the slope.

How does acceleration on a hill differ from acceleration on a flat surface?

Acceleration on a hill differs from acceleration on a flat surface because there is an additional force acting on the object - gravity. This force pulls the object down the slope, causing a change in velocity.

What factors affect acceleration on a hill?

The main factors that affect acceleration on a hill are the force of gravity, the angle of the slope, and the mass of the object. Additionally, friction and air resistance can also play a role in the acceleration.

Does acceleration on a hill always involve a change in speed?

No, acceleration on a hill does not always involve a change in speed. If the slope is at a constant angle and there is no external force acting on the object, it will have a constant velocity and therefore, no change in speed.

Is acceleration on a hill the same going up and down?

No, acceleration on a hill is not the same going up and down. When going up a hill, the force of gravity is acting against the direction of motion, causing a decrease in velocity. When going down a hill, the force of gravity is acting in the same direction as the motion, causing an increase in velocity.