Acceleration of two blocks connected by a pulley

In summary, the discussion is about solving a physics question and understanding why the solution involves dividing by the combined mass of both blocks instead of just the mass of one block. The question involves a ramp, a rope, and two masses, with one being pulled up the ramp by a force. The solution takes into account the tension in the rope, friction, and gravity components, and ultimately determines the acceleration of the first mass. The final statement clarifies that once the system has an acceleration, the tension in the rope will no longer equal the weight of the second mass. This is because the forces acting on the second mass would add to zero, resulting in zero acceleration.
Esoremada
http://puu.sh/4DtNc.png

I solved this question, but I don't understand why this worked. I feel like for the final line in my solution it should just be divided by M1, not the combined mass of both blocks.

Isn't this synonymous with just M1 being pulled up the ramp by a guy at the top pulling with a force of 2.91*9.8 N? I thought I made an equation for the net force of just M1. The tension in the rope is 2.91*9.8, the friction is 3.19113*9.8*cos(18.5)*0.396, the gravity component pointing down the ramp is 3.19113*9.8*sin(18.5). So why does the mass of M2 have any place in solving for the acceleration of M1?

I feel like it should just be.
[2.91*9.8 - 3.19113*9.8*sin(18.5) - 3.19113*9.8*cos(18.5)*0.396] / (3.19113)

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Once the system has an acceleration, the tension in the rope will no longer equal the weight of ##m_2##.

You can see why this is true by considering the forces acting on ##m_2##. If the tension acting on ##m_2## equals the weight acting on ##m_2##, then the forces acting on ##m_2## would add to zero and ##m_2## would have zero acceleration.

Likes 1 person
Ah I get it, thank you.

Related to Acceleration of two blocks connected by a pulley

What is the acceleration of two blocks connected by a pulley?

The acceleration of two blocks connected by a pulley can be determined using the formula a = (m1 - m2)g / (m1 + m2), where m1 and m2 are the masses of the two blocks and g is the acceleration due to gravity.

How does the mass of the blocks affect the acceleration?

The acceleration is directly proportional to the difference in mass between the two blocks. This means that the larger the difference in mass, the greater the acceleration will be.

What happens to the acceleration if the pulley has friction?

If the pulley has friction, it will decrease the acceleration of the blocks. This is because some of the force that is used to accelerate the blocks will be used to overcome the friction of the pulley.

Can the direction of acceleration change in this scenario?

Yes, the direction of acceleration can change in this scenario. This can happen if the masses of the two blocks are not equal or if there is friction on the pulley. In these cases, the direction of acceleration will depend on the relative masses of the blocks and the direction of the friction force.

How does the angle of the pulley affect the acceleration?

The angle of the pulley does not affect the acceleration in this scenario. As long as the pulley is able to freely rotate, the angle at which it is positioned will not have an impact on the acceleration of the blocks.