Acceleration of Two Blocks Connected by a Pulley on a Frictionless Ramp

In summary, the problem involves two blocks of equal mass connected by a rope and a pulley with a moment of inertia and radius. The goal is to find the acceleration of the two blocks using the equations F = ma and torque = Ftangential * r. After drawing a free body diagram and considering the tension on both sides of the pulley, the solution can be found by setting the two equations equal to each other and solving for the acceleration.
I_Auditor

Homework Statement

Two blocks are of the same mass M. One lies on a frictionless ramp with slope θ, while the other one, connected by a rope, hangs by a pulley with a moment of inertia of I and a radius of r. Find the acceleration of the two blocks.

I don't have an actual picture, but this one might help:
incline_wpulley.gif

Assuming m=M and that the pulley has a moment of inertia = I and a radius = r

Homework Equations

F = ma
Torque = Ftangential * r
Tension = Mg(1-sinθ)
2Ma should (?) be the total force on the blocks.

The Attempt at a Solution

I drew an FBD for the masses and got Mg(1-sinθ), but I'm unsure as to where I am supposed to go after this. I assumed that torque factored in, but I'm shaky on that aspect of the problem.

The answer given was (Mg(1-sinθ))/(2M-(I/r2)).

Physics news on Phys.org
Hello I_A, :welcome:

You sense there is more to this, but can't pinpoint it, is my impression.
I_Auditor said:
I drew an FBD for the masses and got Mg(1-sinθ), but I'm unsure as to where I am supposed to go after this. I assumed that torque factored in, but I'm shaky on that aspect of the problem.
Did you draw one for each of the two ? Draw something equivalent for the pulley too.
You may assume that the rope does not slip on the pulley.

From the m diagram you should conclude that Tension ##\ne## Mg(1-sinθ) on the left side of the pulley.
From the pulley diagram you should conclude that the Tension on the left side of the pulley is not equal to the Tension on the right side of the pulley

By the time you have digested all that, you are well under way towards the book solution. Good luck !

:smile:

Related to Acceleration of Two Blocks Connected by a Pulley on a Frictionless Ramp

1. What is acceleration of two blocks?

The acceleration of two blocks is the rate of change of velocity of two blocks moving together in a system. It is a measure of how much the speed and/or direction of motion of the blocks change over time.

2. How is acceleration of two blocks calculated?

Acceleration of two blocks can be calculated using the formula a = (v2 - v1) / t, where a is the acceleration, v1 and v2 are the initial and final velocities of the blocks, and t is the time taken for the change in velocity.

3. What factors affect the acceleration of two blocks?

The acceleration of two blocks can be affected by various factors such as the mass of the blocks, the force applied to the blocks, and the presence of external forces such as friction or air resistance.

4. Can the acceleration of two blocks be negative?

Yes, the acceleration of two blocks can be negative. This indicates that the blocks are decelerating or slowing down in their motion. Negative acceleration can occur when a force acts in the opposite direction of the motion of the blocks.

5. How does the acceleration of two blocks relate to Newton's Second Law of Motion?

According to Newton's Second Law of Motion, the acceleration of an object is directly proportional to the net force acting on it and inversely proportional to its mass. Therefore, the acceleration of two blocks will be greater if the force acting on them is greater and/or if their mass is smaller.