Can Lotteries be rigged? Here's how I think it can be done

• Thread starter timejim
  • Start date
In summary: No, the government does not want mega jackpots. Mega jackpots are designed to make the lottery richer, not poorer. Originally posted by Guybrush Threepwood No, the government does not want mega jackpots. Mega jackpots are designed to make the lottery richer, not poorer.
timejim
I've always wondered if Lotteries using the "white, numbered lightweight balls, possibly could be rigged. I have heard they keep them under lock and key?? but they are also weighed. Now, if the lottery ball was, during its' manufacture, had placed within its' inside, a tiny "filing" of iron, then not only would that "iron filing" not contribute significantly to the weight requirements of the ball, but it would cause the ball to be "captured by an electromagnet", say placed at the right position in the "lottery drawing ball machine, thereby causing that ball to be "captured" momentarily and roll out the "chute" as one of the drawn numbers. Just wondering, seems as though it would work if a cleverly designed and built machine were used.

Physics news on Phys.org
You missed the whole point of lotteries.

Originally posted by fffbone
You missed the whole point of lotteries.

which is?

Originally posted by Guybrush Threepwood
which is?
The volontary payment of TAXES

id have thought just using non lightweight balls which will stay at the bottom so more likely to be taken. while the others ill happily bounce around

Originally posted by jimmy p
id have thought just using non lightweight balls which will stay at the bottom so more likely to be taken. while the others ill happily bounce around
Since in lotteries 'order' * counts how do you arrange that it comes out in the 'order' you want?

*Order as in the difference 'tween 1-2-3-4-5 and 5-4-3-2-1 as they are (simply) distinguished sets/order

How do you control that, or do you try to buy that many tickets to cover all fo the possiblities, how mush does that co$t?

Originally posted by Mr. Robin Parsons
The volontary payment of TAXES
I call it an idiot tax - the dumber you are, the more you owe.

The PA lottery was rigged a few years back. It was only the pick 3 though. The mob paid the announcer to inject every ball except the 4's and 6's with liquid. Then, all the low ranking mobsters bought tickets with vaious combinations of 4's and 6's "in a box".

It came up 666, and provoked quite a stir. The investigation nailed the announcer, and might have netted 1 or 2 others, but the payoffs went out.

Njorl

Since in lotteries 'order' * counts how do you arrange that it comes out in the 'order' you want?

*Order as in the difference 'tween 1-2-3-4-5 and 5-4-3-2-1 as they are (simply) distinguished sets/order

How do you control that, or do you try to buy that many tickets to cover all fo the possiblities, how mush does that co$t?

They do not come out in numerical order, it is random. My scenario would, say, since all tickets purchased are logged into the lottery computer, then, if they did not want a winner that week, just use 6 "doctored" balls that, when the six are drawn, they do not match any purchased numbers.

Originally posted by timejim
They do not come out in numerical order, it is random. My scenario would, say, since all tickets purchased are logged into the lottery computer, then, if they did not want a winner that week, just use 6 "doctored" balls that, when the six are drawn, they do not match any purchased numbers.
Sound really good, just a simple problem with it, in a 6/49 scheme there are roughly 14 million combinations and all that is required is the "sales figures" (ergo the number of combinatins sold) to preclude any, or all, given 6 number combinations...

But, clearly, it is NOT in the governments interest to NOT have winners, as winners drive sales, especailly BIG winners...and there is the loss in tax dollars, if the sales slump...

well the government could make the numbers 1,2,3,4,5,6 as the heavy balls, it doesn't matter what order they come out in, as long as they come out. I doubt people put money on them to come out...wait, now I am going to just in case!

Sound really good, just a simple problem with it, in a 6/49 scheme there are roughly 14 million combinations and all that is required is the "sales figures" (ergo the number of combinatins sold) to preclude any, or all, given 6 number combinations...

But, clearly, it is NOT in the governments interest to NOT have winners, as winners drive sales, especailly BIG winners...and there is the loss in tax dollars, if the sales slump...

They want winners, alright. But do you see by letting the mega jackpots grow bigger they induce more sales, more and more tickets are sold, thereby making the lottery richer but also enriching the lotter corp's profit numbers.

well the government could make the numbers 1,2,3,4,5,6 as the heavy balls, it doesn't matter what order they come out in, as long as they come out. I doubt people put money on them to come out...wait, now I am going to just in case!
It might surprise you to know but there are people who play those numbers just because they think that "those ones" are more likely to hit, and NO one else will be playing them, but SHHHH! don't tell that's a high level "security secret" just between you, and me, O.K.?

Lets see, anyone got the sales figures?, if sales exceed 13 million tickets/combinations then the likelyhood (AKA possibility/chance/probability/maybe/couldbe/perhaps/kinda/sorta) of all numbers being played increases...plus..

It's a bit like someone I knew, who told me that the "Best" time to play, was right after a 'Big Win' went down, cause then there would be fewer people playing...better chances of winning...
(as if this would somehow affect the odds, it doesn't!)

lol those people are crazees! woot! I am going to start my own lottery. 6 balls, choose 6 numbers, £1 play, £1 jackpot, i can't lose! or alternatively i could buy a fruit machine and use that as money wasting entertainment...at least if i had the keys i could get my money back!

lol those people are crazees! woot! I am going to start my own lottery. 6 balls, choose 6 numbers, £1 play, £1 jackpot, i can't lose! or alternatively i could buy a fruit machine and use that as money wasting entertainment...at least if i had the keys i could get my money back!
Good "luck" (whatever that is) but remember. there will be poeple out there just like you, trying to find a way to break your bank completely , heck tell me where I might just try too...

I bet there is a way to maximise the expectation of payoff through psychology and statistics. I'd be suprised if it were possible to do as well as not playing at all, but if you insist, you might as well play smart.

First, consider the rules governing payout. Multiple people with the same numbers split pots. More people play when the pot is big, fewer play when it is small.

There is probably some preferential pot level to play at. This would be after a few no-winner drawings, but before there is a lot of hype. Say, the pot is triple normal, but only twice as many people play, for instance.

Next, consider how people pick numbers. While you probably couldn't get a breakdown of what numbers people pick, you can get a rundown of the numbers the winners picked. I'm not advocating "lucky numbers", just the opposite. Avoid these winning numbers. These numbers are picked more often for psychological reasons. Picking these numbers makes it more likely that you will have to share a jackpot.

Now, doing what I mention above is probably not practcal. Nobody has the data handy I'd guess. There is one thing you can do though. Pick numbers from 32-39 (or 40 if they go that high). These numbers are not used in dates.

Even doing all this, I doubt you'll recoup more than a few cents on the dollar wagered. Best idea is don't play.

Njorl

P.S. Have a calculator that does stats and odds (factorials) so you should realize that in a 6/49 kind of deal the odds range around one in 14 million, whereas in a 7/47 type of deal, they RISE to around 0ne in ~62 million...don't be fooled

You don't think I am going to let anyone else play on my lottery do you? Nah, its going to be an exclusive thing...to me.

You don't think I am going to let anyone else play on my lottery do you? Nah, its going to be an exclusive thing...to me.
AHHH then it is a losing propostion, all your winnings are taxable by government...your pot will only decrease, over time...

ok it will be an underground lottery. They'll have to catch me first! anyway it could be good for my love life, chicks dig rebels and fugitives...well maybe not fugitives...

ok it will be an underground lottery. They'll have to catch me first! anyway it could be good for my love life, chicks dig rebels and fugitives...well maybe not fugitives...
O.K.! but a little hint, stop telling everyone here about your SECRET UNDERGROUND LOTTERY...

..point taken. forget that there was ever an underground lottery scam. i don't exist. and i certainly have never posted here. all right?

..point taken. forget that there was ever an underground lottery scam. i don't exist. and i certainly have never posted here. all right?
Huh? What??/ who goes there?...oh just that cat...

1. Can lotteries be rigged?

It is possible for lotteries to be rigged, although it is not a common occurrence. Rigging a lottery involves manipulating the outcome in favor of a specific individual or group, usually for financial gain.

2. How can lotteries be rigged?

There are several ways in which lotteries can be rigged. One method is through tampering with the lottery equipment or software, either by the lottery organization or an outside party. Another way is through collusion between lottery employees and players to ensure a winning ticket is chosen. It is also possible to rig a lottery by manipulating the distribution of tickets to certain areas or by altering the odds of winning.

3. Is it legal to rig a lottery?

No, rigging a lottery is illegal and considered fraud. Lottery organizations have strict security measures in place to prevent rigging and any attempt to do so is punishable by law.

4. How can we prevent lotteries from being rigged?

To prevent lotteries from being rigged, lottery organizations have rigorous security protocols in place to ensure the fairness and integrity of the game. This includes regular audits, security checks, and strict regulations for employees. Additionally, implementing transparency and public oversight can also help prevent rigging.

5. What are the consequences of rigging a lottery?

The consequences of rigging a lottery can vary depending on the severity of the fraud and the laws in the specific jurisdiction. In most cases, individuals involved in rigging a lottery can face criminal charges, fines, and imprisonment. Lottery organizations may also face legal repercussions and damage to their reputation and credibility.