Acceleration of a Rocket falling to Earth

In summary, the conversation discusses the possibility of dropping a rocket-shaped object from a near-space balloon with the goal of maintaining a downward acceleration that results in microgravity for its contents. The main question is whether an unpowered object can achieve this acceleration and for how long, as well as how to calculate its speed for a given distance from the point of release. It is noted that in a perfect vacuum, microgravity can be achieved, but air drag will always affect the object's speed. To counteract this, powered rockets are needed.
SophieP
I want to drop a rocket-shaped object from a near-space balloon, with the aim of maintaining a downward acceleration that leaves it's contents in microgravity.

I think that this means:
  • The (unpowered) rocket needs to maintain as close to 9.8m/s2 acceleration in order to balance out the acceleration of its contents
  • The terminal velocity of the rocket or it's contents will come into play - but I'm not sure if that speed is even achievable before hitting the ground
I would like to know:

1. Is it possible for an unpowered object to fall at that kind of acceleration, assuming it's aerodynamically efficient enough, and if so, how long for?
  2. How can I work out it's speed for a given distance from the 'start' (i.e. point of release from the balloon?

Physics news on Phys.org
In a perfect vacuum, you would get microgravity. Air drag will always slow you down. There is no way to achieve microgravity for more than a few seconds if you do not power your rocket to actively cancel air drag.

Related to Acceleration of a Rocket falling to Earth

1. What is the acceleration of a rocket falling to Earth?

The acceleration of a rocket falling to Earth is determined by the force of gravity, which is approximately 9.8 meters per second squared (m/s^2) near the Earth's surface.

2. How does the acceleration of a rocket falling to Earth compare to the acceleration due to gravity?

The acceleration of a rocket falling to Earth is the same as the acceleration due to gravity, as both are caused by the same force.

3. Does the mass of the rocket affect its acceleration while falling to Earth?

Yes, the mass of the rocket does affect its acceleration while falling to Earth. According to Newton's Second Law of Motion, the acceleration of an object is directly proportional to the force applied and inversely proportional to its mass.

4. Can the acceleration of a rocket falling to Earth change?

Yes, the acceleration of a rocket falling to Earth can change if there are other forces acting on it, such as air resistance. However, the force of gravity will always be present and will ultimately determine the acceleration of the rocket.

5. How does the height from which the rocket is dropped affect its acceleration while falling to Earth?

The height from which the rocket is dropped does not affect its acceleration while falling to Earth, as the force of gravity remains constant regardless of the starting height. The acceleration may be affected by air resistance or other external factors, but not by the starting height.