Acceleration of a Pulley System: 100g & 120g Masses

In summary, the conversation discusses how to find the acceleration of a system with two masses of 100g and 120g on opposite ends of a string hung over a pulley. The method for finding the acceleration depends on whether the masses are on a ramp or both vertical. The conversation provides equations and steps for solving for acceleration in both scenarios, but reminds the person seeking help to show their own work in the future.
chathamchick
Okay...i did this lab where two different masses are on opposite ends of a string and hung over a pulley...how do i find the acceleration of the system if mass one is 100g and mass 2 is 120g. help! please...

Physics news on Phys.org
Is this on a ramp?

Or are both massesvertical?

--

If they are on a ramp, and m2 is hanging off the ramp:

m1 -->

Fnet = Ft - Fgx (-Ff)
m1a = Ft - FgsinX (-Fnu)

m2 --->

Fnet = m2g - Ft
m2a = m2g - Ft

Equate both (m2a + m1a) to get rid of Ft. Then you can solve for a .

---

If they are both vertical:

m1: m1a = Ft - m1g

m2: m2a = m2g - Ft

This is correct if m2 is going downwards, and m1 is forced upwards. However, the answer will be the same either way.

Once again, m1a + m2a to eliminate Ft and find a.

m1a + m2a = m2g - m1g
a = (m2g - m1g) / (m1 +m2)

After typing this, i remembered i wasn't supposed to help you, since you have not shown any of your own work. Please next time, keep that in mind.

Last edited by a moderator:
they are vertical...like hanging on a pole...

Refer to me edited post chathamchick.

Related to Acceleration of a Pulley System: 100g & 120g Masses

1. How do you calculate the acceleration of a pulley system?

The acceleration of a pulley system can be calculated using the equation: a = (m1 - m2)g / (m1 + m2), where m1 and m2 are the masses on either side of the pulley and g is the acceleration due to gravity (9.8 m/s²).

2. Does the mass of the pulley affect the acceleration of the system?

No, the mass of the pulley does not affect the acceleration of the system. The only factors that affect the acceleration are the difference in masses on either side of the pulley and the acceleration due to gravity.

3. How does the acceleration change if the masses on either side of the pulley are equal?

If the masses on either side of the pulley are equal, the acceleration of the system will be 0. This is because there is no difference in masses, so there is no net force acting on the system to cause it to accelerate.

4. Can the acceleration of a pulley system be negative?

Yes, the acceleration of a pulley system can be negative. This would occur if the heavier mass is on the side that is initially moving downwards, causing it to slow down as it moves upwards and resulting in a negative acceleration.

5. How does the acceleration change if the masses on either side of the pulley are doubled?

If the masses on either side of the pulley are doubled, the acceleration of the system will be halved. This is because the difference in masses remains the same, but the total mass is now twice as much, resulting in a smaller acceleration.