Acceleration of a gas into a vacuum

In summary, when a divider is removed to allow gas to flow into an infinite vacuum, the speed of the gas entering the vacuum may decrease due to the decreasing amount of gas in the chamber. However, the pull of the vacuum will remain constant, potentially causing the speed of the gas leaving the chamber to stay the same. There is no conclusive answer as to whether the gas will increase in acceleration, peak and then decrease, or remain constant as it enters the vacuum. The outcome may depend on the specific conditions and factors involved.
Ron Spencer
Set up: Gas on one side of a divider and an infinite vacuum on the other.

Question: When you remove the divider, over time, does the gas increase in acceleration, does it peak and then decrease or does it remain the same as the gas enters the vacuum/ leaves the side opposite the vacuum?f

Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
Ron Spencer said:
Set up: Gas on one side of a divider and an infinite vacuum on the other.

Question: When you remove the divider, over time, does the gas increase in acceleration, does it peak and then decrease or does it remain the same as the gas enters the vacuum/ leaves the side opposite the vacuum?f

Thanks
What are your thoughts on this?

Ron Spencer said:
does the gas increase in acceleration

What does this mean?

Vanadium 50 said:
What does this mean?
What I meant was, does the flow of gas into the vacuum go faster, stay the same or slow down over the time it takes for it to flow into the vacuum. I hope that is clear. If not, please let me know and I'll try again.

Chestermiller said:
What are your thoughts on this?
Well...its been a long, long time since I studied physics in college and frankly, I don't remember much theory. Within those parameters my thought is that, as the amount of gas in that chamber decreases I'd expect the speed that it flows into the vacuum to slow.

On the other hand, the "pull" of the vacuum, while slightly reduced by the introduction of the gas (slightly reducing the quality of the vacuum), will continue unchanged. If this is true then the speed of the gas leaving its chamber should remain constant. As you can see, I am torn on which is the correct analysis.

Related to Acceleration of a gas into a vacuum

1. What is the acceleration of a gas into a vacuum?

The acceleration of a gas into a vacuum refers to the rate at which a gas moves from an area of high pressure to an area of low pressure, due to the absence of any opposing force. This is known as a free expansion and the acceleration is dependent on the initial pressure and volume of the gas.

2. How is the acceleration of a gas into a vacuum calculated?

The acceleration of a gas into a vacuum can be calculated using the ideal gas law, which states that the pressure and volume of a gas are inversely proportional. This means that as the volume increases, the pressure decreases, resulting in a faster acceleration.

3. Is the acceleration of a gas into a vacuum constant?

No, the acceleration of a gas into a vacuum is not constant. It depends on the initial conditions of the gas, such as the pressure and volume, as well as any external factors that may affect the expansion, such as temperature and the presence of other gases.

4. How does the acceleration of a gas into a vacuum affect its temperature?

The acceleration of a gas into a vacuum does not directly affect its temperature. However, as the gas expands and moves into the vacuum, it is doing work and therefore its internal energy decreases. This can result in a decrease in temperature, known as adiabatic cooling.

5. What are some real-world applications of gas acceleration into a vacuum?

One common application of gas acceleration into a vacuum is in vacuum pumps, which use this principle to remove gas molecules from a sealed container. It is also used in gas propulsion systems, such as in rocket engines, where the expansion of gas into a vacuum provides the necessary thrust to move the rocket forward.