Acceleration of a compound pendulum

In summary: So, in the case of a static rod, if there are two forces acting on it (and not in the same direction) I can move them to a common point and solve for the resultant force and torque at that point. But when the rod is not static, the forces change and the torques change. Is there a way to solve for the resultant force and torque at a common point when the rod is not static?Yes, you can solve for the resultant force and torque at a common point when the rod is not static. In this case, you would use the equations of motion for a rigid body, which take into account both the linear and angular motion. You would also need to use the equations for summing
ModusPwnd

Homework Statement

A uniform thin rod of mass M and length L is supported horizontally by two supports, one at each end. The acceleration of gravity, g, is constant and in the downward direction. At time t=0 the left support is removed.

Find the downward acceleration of the center of mass at t=0 in terms of M, L and g. Also, find the angular acceleration and the force exerted by the remaining support.

Homework Equations

[tex] \vec{\tau} = \vec{r} \times \vec{F} [/tex]
[tex] |\tau| = I \alpha [/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

To calculate the downward acceleration, I first calculate the torque.

[tex] \vec{\tau} = \frac{-L}{2}\hat{y} \times (-M g) \hat{z} = \frac{LMg}{2}\hat{x} [/tex]

Equate this torque with the moment of inertia times the angular acceleration, and solve for angular acceleration.

[tex] \alpha = \frac{\tau}{I} = \frac{\frac{L}{2} M g}{\frac{1}{3} M L^2}=\frac{3}{2}\frac{g}{L} [/tex]

Then, solve for the acceleration,
[tex] a = r \alpha = \frac{L}{2} \cdot \frac{3}{2}\frac{g}{L} = \frac{3}{4} g [/tex]

Find the force by F=ma,

[tex] F = m a = M \frac{3}{4} g [/tex]Where have I gone wrong here? Thanks!

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Your force is wrong. The resultant force is equal to the mass times the acceleration of the CM. The forces are gravity and the force at the support.

ehild

Thanks, that makes sense. But I am still a little confused because the acceleration is at the center of mass, the force of gravity is at the center of mass but the support is at a different location. I can sum up the forces even though the support is causing a torque? Perhaps I should sum up the torques! I just now realized, I think that is what I should do.

The torque refers to an axis and equals force times the distance of the line of force from the axis. You calculated the torque of gravity with respect to the supported end of the rod. If there are more forces, their torques add up, but what is the torque of the supporting force with respect to the support?

In case of a rigid body, the resultant force is the vectorial sum of all forces acting. The forces can be shifted along their line. Parallel forces add up algebraically. No matter where the forces attack. You have two forces, one is gravity, the other is the supporting force. The acceleration of the CM multiplied by the total mass is equal to the resultant force.
What you should do is to find out is the acceleration of the CM. For that, you need to know its position. The rod is homogeneous. Where is its CM? The rod sweeps a circle with one end as the centre. Every point of it moves along a circular path, with the same angular velocity and angular acceleration. So what is the linear acceleration of the CM?

ehild

I found the CM downward acceleration to be
[tex] \frac{3}{4} g [/tex]

If I understand you correctly, its as simple as doing,

[tex] ma = M \frac{3}{4}(- g) = - M g + F_{\text{Support}} [/tex]

Solve for the force and get,
[tex] F_{\text{Support}} = \frac{1}{4} g [/tex]I still can't help but be skeptical though... The point at which the support is applying a force is not accelerating at all. I feel like I can only use forces shifted along a line if there is no rotation in the rigid body. Ill take it as it is for now though. Thanks

You forgot the M, Fs=Mg/4.

ModusPwnd said:
I still can't help but be skeptical though... The point at which the support is applying a force is not accelerating at all. I feel like I can only use forces shifted along a line if there is no rotation in the rigid body. Ill take it as it is for now though. Thanks

No matter how the individual points move. The centre of mass accelerates as if the sum of all the external forces attacked at it and its acceleration is equal to the vector sum of all external forces divided by the total mass.

If two parallel/antiparallel forces act on a rigid body the resultant is a force equal to the algebraic sum of the forces (and its point of attack is that point for which the the torque of the two forces is equal and opposite).

You can understand this by looking at the picture. It is a rigid rod and two forces act on it at different points, F1 and F2, parallel and of opposite direction, like in the problem Fs an -mg.
You can add two equal and opposite horizontal forces (the green ones): They would cancel, so do not influence the system of forces. Add the horizontal forces to the vertical ones: You get two forces (red) which are not parallel any more, they can be shifted to a common point where the resultant can be drawn. This resultant force can be shifted againso its point of attack is on the rod.

ehild

Attachments

• antipar.JPG
    antipar.JPG
    8.8 KB · Views: 536
That picture does help, thanks.

Related to Acceleration of a compound pendulum

1. What is a compound pendulum?

A compound pendulum is a type of pendulum that consists of a rigid body with multiple pivot points. It is different from a simple pendulum, which has only one pivot point.

2. What factors affect the acceleration of a compound pendulum?

The acceleration of a compound pendulum is affected by the length of the pendulum, the mass of the pendulum, and the angle at which it is released. The acceleration also depends on the strength of the gravitational field and any air resistance present.

3. How can the acceleration of a compound pendulum be calculated?

The acceleration of a compound pendulum can be calculated using the formula a = (mgd sinθ)/I, where m is the mass of the pendulum, g is the acceleration due to gravity, d is the distance between the pivot point and the center of mass, θ is the angle at which the pendulum is released, and I is the moment of inertia of the pendulum.

4. How does the acceleration of a compound pendulum change with different lengths?

The acceleration of a compound pendulum is directly proportional to the length of the pendulum. This means that as the length increases, the acceleration also increases. This relationship is known as the law of pendulums.

5. What is the importance of studying the acceleration of a compound pendulum?

Studying the acceleration of a compound pendulum is important in many fields, such as physics and engineering. It helps us understand the principles of motion and gravity, and can also be used to design and improve pendulum-based devices, such as clocks and seismometers.