Acceleration in Uniform Circular Motion

In summary, to find the acceleration of a 10 kg mass moving at 2 m/s in uniform circular motion with a radius of 2m, you can use the equation a=v^2/r, which yields an acceleration of 2m/s^2. The student questioned if they were confusing speed and velocity, but concluded that they were correct and may have been graded incorrectly.
sleepingarmy

Homework Statement

What is the acceleration (in m/s^2) of a 10 kg mass moving with speed 2 m/s in uniform circular motion about a circle of radius 2m?

Homework Equations

F=ma
a=v^2/r in uniform circular motion

The Attempt at a Solution

Seems simple enough. To find the acceleration I simply squared the speed and divided by the radius. 2^2/2=2m/s^2.

This was graded as incorrect. What am I doing wrong? Am I confusing speed and velocity? Please help!

Physics news on Phys.org
Looks fine to me. Was that the entire question?

Yup. I think the professor may have made a mistake. I'll take it to him. Thanks!

Related to Acceleration in Uniform Circular Motion

1. What is the formula for acceleration in uniform circular motion?

The formula for acceleration in uniform circular motion is a = v^2/r, where a is acceleration, v is velocity, and r is the radius of the circular motion.

2. How does acceleration in uniform circular motion differ from acceleration in linear motion?

In uniform circular motion, acceleration is always directed toward the center of the circle, while in linear motion, acceleration can be in any direction.

3. Can acceleration in uniform circular motion ever be zero?

Yes, if an object is moving at a constant speed in a perfect circle, its acceleration will be zero as it is not changing its velocity or direction.

4. How does changing the radius of a circle affect acceleration in uniform circular motion?

Increasing the radius of the circle will decrease the acceleration, while decreasing the radius will increase the acceleration.

5. Is acceleration in uniform circular motion always constant?

Yes, in uniform circular motion, the magnitude of acceleration is constant, but its direction is constantly changing as the object moves around the circle.