Acceleration in a Weight Machine

In summary: Solve for a.In summary, an Atwood's machine consists of two masses connected by a string over a pulley. The acceleration can be found by using the equations T-mg=ma, Iω=(T2-T1)R, and a=-g(m1-m2)/(m1+m2+MR^2). The mass of the pulley (M) is incorporated into the equation for the moment of inertia (I).
eagles12

Homework Statement

An Atwood's machine consists of two masses, m1 and m2, connected by a string that passes over a pulley.
If the pulley is a disk of radius R and mass M, find the acceleration of the masses.
Express your answers in terms of variables m1,m2, M, R, and appropriate constants

Homework Equations

T-mg=ma

The Attempt at a Solution

a=-g/(1+I/(m1+m2)R^2
this is an equation i found but i am not sure what to do with I

Physics news on Phys.org
hi eagles12! :smile:

(try using the X2 button just above the Reply box :wink:)
eagles12 said:

you mean you found it on a website? :rolleyes:

(it doesn't look right, but anyway …)

you need to call the tension T, and do F = ma twice (once for each mass), and τ = Iα for the pulley, and then eliminate T …

what do you get? :smile:

eagles12 said:

Homework Statement

An Atwood's machine consists of two masses, m1 and m2, connected by a string that passes over a pulley.
If the pulley is a disk of radius R and mass M, find the acceleration of the masses.
Express your answers in terms of variables m1,m2, M, R, and appropriate constants

Homework Equations

T-mg=ma

The Attempt at a Solution

a=-g/(1+I/(m1+m2)R^2
It is not a good idea to find an equation without doing some work to arrive at the solution. Please make an attempt. The I for the pulley is the least of your problems.:frown:

The correct answer can be found here:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Atwood_machine

but I agree with the others you need to find a way to it, that's the point. My guess is that looking at the energy balance is a shorter way in this problem.

Well i found that equation from a similar problem in my textbook and then altered it for my problem

I am still having trouble figuring out how to use the M (mass of the pulley) because i need it in my equation.
i tried a=g m1-m2/m1+m2

I guess you are missing the pulley rotation equation: I [itex]\dot{\omega}[/itex] =(T2-T1)R
where I is the pulley torque and equals MR^2, (omega)'=a/R. T1 and T2 are the tension forces on both sides. acceleration of m1 and m2 is a.
Now you should have three equations: the second Law for m1, the second law for m2 and the rotation equation for the pulley.

Related to Acceleration in a Weight Machine

1. What is acceleration in a weight machine?

Acceleration in a weight machine refers to the rate at which the velocity of an object changes while using the machine. It is typically measured in meters per second squared (m/s²).

2. How is acceleration calculated in a weight machine?

Acceleration can be calculated by dividing the change in velocity by the change in time. In a weight machine, this can be determined by tracking the speed of the machine and the time it takes for the weight to move up or down.

3. Why is acceleration important in a weight machine?

Acceleration is important in a weight machine because it determines the amount of force required to move the weight. The higher the acceleration, the more force is needed to move the weight. This can be helpful in determining the effectiveness of a workout routine.

4. Can acceleration be increased in a weight machine?

Yes, acceleration can be increased in a weight machine by adjusting the settings or increasing the weight. This can provide a more challenging workout and can help build strength and endurance.

5. What factors can affect acceleration in a weight machine?

There are several factors that can affect acceleration in a weight machine, including the weight being lifted, the speed of the machine, and the friction between the weight and the machine. The user's own strength and technique can also impact the acceleration in a weight machine.