Acceleration from unit vectors

In summary, Bob's problem is that his book doesn't provide a derivation for taking the acceleration of a particle when its velocity is given in an orthogonal basis. He finds a solution by taking the derivatives of the velocities in each axis and combining them with the unit vectors in the same system.
Bob_Dobbs
I have a problem asking me to find the acceleration of a particle when its
[tex]v_i = (3.00 \hat{i} -2.00 \hat{j} ) m/s [/tex]

and then 3 seconds later,

[tex]v = (9.00 \hat{i} + 7.00 \hat{j} ) m/s [/tex]

The big problem here is that my book doesn't say anything whatsoever about getting an acceleration when dealing with unit vectors. The only thing it says about acceleration at all is that a=dv/dt, but taking the derivatives of those velocities doesn't really get me anywhere.

Help?! This is a major bottle-neck in my homework and my book is totally worthless.:mad:

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Hi Bob, welcome to the PF. When you are given components in an orthogonal basis system (like the rectangular coordinates you have shown), you can just take the derivatives in each axis, and combine them with the unit vectors in that same system. So just differentiate the x-axis numbers and differentiate the y-axis numbers, and show them as an (x,y) acceleration with the same unit vectors. Make sense?

EDIT -- Oops, sorry. Your unit vectors are i and j. My comments still hold, as long as i and j are orthogonal. Maybe even if they aren't orthogonal, but I'm not sure about that. In your problem statement, is it apparent that i and j are at right angles in 3-space?

yeah, they're pretty much the same as x and y (i being x and j being y [k is z if it's 3d...i have no clue why they can't just use x,y,z]).

What I don't understand though is how exactly I'm supposed to take the derivative of a constant. If I derive (3.00i-2.00j) I'd get 3.00-2.00dj/di, as far as I can tell (or zero if i don't include the i and j).

Last edited:
First, note that something expressed by unit vectors i and j is a vector too, so you have to write [tex]\vec{v}[/tex] for your velocities. All you have to do is apply [tex]a=\frac{\Delta v}{\Delta t}[/tex] to your vectors, and get the acceleration vector.

radou said:
First, note that something expressed by unit vectors i and j is a vector too, so you have to write [tex]\vec{v}[/tex] for your velocities. All you have to do is apply [tex]a=\frac{\Delta v}{\Delta t}[/tex] to your vectors, and get the acceleration vector.

Well, I tried to do that. I figured it should just be final minus initial, but I tried [tex]([9.00-3.00] \hat{i} + [7.00 + 2.00] \hat{j} ) = (6.00 \hat{i} + 9.00 \hat{j} )[/tex]...oohhhh...but I forgot to divide by three, which would give me 2i and 3j, which is the answer I've been trying to get (lol, yes, I figured this out as I was typing my response).

Alright, problem solved, thanks a lot!

Related to Acceleration from unit vectors

1. What is acceleration from unit vectors?

Acceleration from unit vectors is a measure of the change in velocity over time, and is typically represented by the symbol "a". Unit vectors are used to break down acceleration into its components in different directions.

2. How is acceleration from unit vectors calculated?

Acceleration from unit vectors can be calculated by dividing the change in velocity by the change in time. This can be represented by the formula a = (vf - vi) / t, where vf is the final velocity, vi is the initial velocity, and t is the change in time.

3. What are unit vectors used for in acceleration?

Unit vectors are used to represent the components of acceleration in different directions. They help to break down the overall acceleration into its x, y, and z components, which can then be added together to find the total acceleration.

4. How are unit vectors represented?

Unit vectors are typically represented by the symbols i, j, and k for the x, y, and z directions respectively. They have a magnitude of 1 and are used to indicate the direction of the acceleration vector in each component.

5. What are some real-world applications of acceleration from unit vectors?

Acceleration from unit vectors is commonly used in physics and engineering to understand and analyze the motion of objects. It is also used in fields such as robotics, aerospace, and sports science to optimize the movement of objects or athletes. Additionally, it has practical applications in areas such as navigation and transportation, where understanding and controlling acceleration is crucial.