Acceleration, friction, pulleys

In summary, acceleration is the rate of change of an object's velocity over time, measured in meters per second squared (m/s^2). Friction can affect acceleration by either decreasing or increasing it, depending on the scenario. Pulleys play a role in acceleration by reducing the amount of force needed to move an object. They can also affect friction by changing the direction of a force. The acceleration of an object can be calculated using the formula a = (v_f - v_i) / t, where a is acceleration, v_f is final velocity, v_i is initial velocity, and t is time. This formula only applies when the acceleration is constant.
jshaner858
a 27.5kg box is connected to a 13.75kg box on a frictionless pulley. my question is if you calculate the acceleration does that include horizontal and vertical acceleration, and if so, how do you just find the downward acceleration?

Physics news on Phys.org
This is too vague, please explain the setup better. Are they both in the air, one on a table the other in the air?

nevermind, i figured it out myself...thanks

my work here is done! :-p

Related to Acceleration, friction, pulleys

1. What is acceleration?

Acceleration is the rate of change of an object's velocity over time. It is a vector quantity, meaning it has both magnitude (speed) and direction. It is typically measured in meters per second squared (m/s^2).

2. How does friction affect acceleration?

Friction is a force that acts in the opposite direction of an object's motion. This means that it can decrease the acceleration of an object by making it harder to move. However, friction can also increase acceleration in certain scenarios, such as when using tires to gain traction on a surface.

3. What is the role of pulleys in acceleration?

Pulleys are simple machines that can be used to change the direction of a force or to multiply the force applied to an object. In terms of acceleration, pulleys can help reduce the amount of force needed to move an object, making it easier to accelerate.

4. Can pulleys affect friction in any way?

Yes, pulleys can affect friction by changing the direction of a force. For example, a pulley system can be used to lift an object vertically, reducing the amount of friction between the object and the ground.

5. How do you calculate the acceleration of an object?

The acceleration of an object can be calculated by dividing the change in velocity by the change in time. This is expressed in the formula a = (v_f - v_i) / t, where a is acceleration, v_f is final velocity, v_i is initial velocity, and t is time. It is important to note that this formula only applies when the acceleration is constant.