Acceleration/force questions on Pendulum

• Thread starter xantier
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Pendulum
Overall, a force-based physics engine would allow for more accurate and dynamic simulation of the ninja rope physics in Worms Armageddon.
xantier
I am trying to replicate worms armageddon's ninja rope physics, it's simply a pendulum. But it has many problems.. I actually know period of a pendulum, angular speed etc.. but I need instantaneous acceleration, speed and how many forces are applied.. It will not be a simply pendulum because there may be another forces affecting (like bouncing after colliding a wall) the character swinging on the pendulum. And i need to recalculate the speed, acceleration etc. again and again. I will simply write a "force-based" physics engine. My brain failed at this.. At least i need some recommendations, advices about the ways. Thanks

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
A force-based physics engine would be a great way to replicate Worms Armageddon’s ninja rope physics. You could use Newton’s second law of motion (F = ma) to calculate the forces applied to the character and then use those forces to calculate the acceleration, velocity, and position of the character. You could also use other forces such as friction, gravity, and air resistance to simulate more realistic behavior. Additionally, you could use collision detection algorithms to detect when the character collides with a wall and then apply the appropriate forces to simulate a bouncing effect.

Related to Acceleration/force questions on Pendulum

1. What is the formula for calculating the acceleration of a pendulum?

The formula for calculating the acceleration of a pendulum is a = -(g/L)sinθ, where g is the acceleration due to gravity, L is the length of the pendulum, and θ is the angle of the pendulum's swing.

2. How does the mass of a pendulum affect its acceleration?

The mass of a pendulum does not affect its acceleration. The only factors that affect the acceleration of a pendulum are the length of the pendulum and the angle of its swing.

3. What is the relationship between the length of a pendulum and its acceleration?

The length of a pendulum and its acceleration are inversely proportional. This means that as the length of the pendulum decreases, the acceleration increases, and vice versa.

4. How does air resistance affect the acceleration of a pendulum?

Air resistance can affect the acceleration of a pendulum by slowing it down. However, for most pendulums, the effect of air resistance is negligible and can be ignored in calculations.

5. Can the force of gravity be changed to alter the acceleration of a pendulum?

No, the force of gravity cannot be changed. The acceleration of a pendulum is solely dependent on the strength of gravity, which is a constant on Earth. However, the angle of the pendulum's swing can be adjusted to change its acceleration.