Acceleration & Force: Lesser Force Impact on Mass

In summary: If you instead, at t2, had applied the larger force f1 to the body, then the acceleration would have been a = f1/m andv(t) = v(t = t2) + f1/m⋅(t - t2) = v1 + f1/m⋅(t - t2) for t ≥ t2.Thus, no matter what you do after t2, the difference between those two equations will be a constant, namely (f2 - f1)/m. This means that the velocity difference between f1 and f2 will remain the same no matter how long you wait!
pranav p v
Consider a body of mass m at rest,then if I apply force f1 on that then it accelerates and attains a velocity of v1.then I remove that force..now the body is in uniform motion.if I apply a force f2 which is less than f1, then body will be accelerated or retardated?I know if same f1 is applied then acceleration will be the previous same value,and if I apply force greater than f1 then it will be accelerated ( but not uniform)..what about f2 less than f1

Physics news on Phys.org
pranav p v said:
Consider a body of mass m at rest,then if I apply force f1 on that then it accelerates and attains a velocity of v1.then I remove that force..now the body is in uniform motion.if I apply a force f2 which is less than f1, then body will be accelerated or retardated?I know if same f1 is applied then acceleration will be the previous same value,and if I apply force greater than f1 then it will be accelerated ( but not uniform)..what about f2 less than f1
Well, if you applied f2 in a direction opposite that of the body's motion, then yes it would be retarded/decelerated.

if I apply a force f2 which is less than f1, then body will be accelerated or retardated?

That depends on the direction of F2.

I know if same f1 is applied then acceleration will be the previous same value

Yes. If you apply F1 again the acceleration will be the same a2 = a1.

if I apply force greater than f1 then it will be accelerated ( but not uniform).

If you apply a force F2 > F1 the object will accelerate faster so a2 > a1. However if the new force is constant the new acceleration will also be constant (=uniform).

what about f2 less than f1

If F2 < F1 the new acceleration will be less than before, a2 < a1

All you need to remember is Newton's Law...
F = ma
so
a = F/m

The fact that the mass is moving does not change law.

F=ma, period. It doesn't remember previous action and doesn't know anything about speed.

Even more importantly ##\vec{F}=m \vec{a}##, i.e., force and acceleration are both vectors!

Likes russ_watters and CWatters
pranav p v said:
Start with the velocity equation in case of constant acceleration:

v
(t) = v(t = t0) + a⋅(t - t0)

The body of mass m is moving with v1 when you, at time t2, suddenly apply a force f2 to the body. The acceleration is then a = f2/m. You get

v(t) = v(t = t2) + f2/m⋅(t - t2) = v1 + f2/m⋅(t - t2)

Related to Acceleration & Force: Lesser Force Impact on Mass

1. What is acceleration?

Acceleration is the rate at which an object's velocity changes over time. It is a vector quantity, meaning it has both magnitude (or size) and direction. Acceleration can be positive, negative, or zero.

2. How is acceleration related to force?

According to Newton's second law of motion, force is equal to an object's mass multiplied by its acceleration. This means that a larger force will result in a greater acceleration, and vice versa.

3. What is the relationship between force and mass?

The relationship between force and mass is described by Newton's second law of motion. Force is directly proportional to mass, meaning that as mass increases, force will also increase.

4. How does a lesser force impact a mass?

A lesser force will result in a smaller acceleration for a given mass. This means that the mass will experience a smaller change in velocity over a certain period of time.

5. How can we reduce the impact of force on a mass?

To reduce the impact of force on a mass, we can either decrease the force acting on the mass or increase the mass itself. This can be achieved through various methods such as using protective equipment or increasing the mass of the object being impacted.