Acceleration, bicyclists and ski racing

In summary: So even though Rider A has more mass, Rider B will go faster because of the higher level of air resistance and friction he encounters.Thanks, I think I understand now. In summary, Rider B will go faster because he encounters more air resistance and friction.
pheadden
So I'm a 195# cyclist, coasting down a hill. I pass the 120 # cyclist who is also coasting. I'm not sure why. Ignoring wind resistance and friction - which I believe aren't significant here - shouldn't we accelerate at the same rate? I believe it has to do with the fact that I'm carrying more momentum, but I can't quantify it. It's the same deal as downhill skiers, they tend to be larger because with more weight, they carry more momentum into the flats. Any thoughts?

Physics news on Phys.org
Your problem is with "ignoring wind resistance and friction". They certainly are important! If there were no wind resistance and friction, you would both go at the same rate. You go faster because there is wind resistance and friction.

Thanks, Wind resistance and friction definitely have an impact, but with me being the larger rider with a presumably larger cross section, I would think I have more wind resistance than the smaller rider. The friction of my bike's bearings and tires on the road, has got to be negligible. I think it has to do with momentum, P=MV, but I can't reconcile F=MA.

pheadden said:
Thanks, Wind resistance and friction definitely have an impact, but with me being the larger rider with a presumably larger cross section, I would think I have more wind resistance than the smaller rider. The friction of my bike's bearings and tires on the road, has got to be negligible. I think it has to do with momentum, P=MV, but I can't reconcile F=MA.

Yes, being larger you presumably have a larger cross-section. But assume that you have two riders of exactly the same shape, but Rider B is scaled up relative to rider A by a factor X. Rider B's mass will be X^3 times larger than Rider A, so the force pulling him downhill will be X^3 times larger. But his cross-sectional area will be only X^2 times larger, so the wind resistance holding him back will only increase by X^2. So the net acceleration of Rider A will be:
[tex] a_A = \frac{F_G - F_W}{M}[/tex]

while the net acceleration of Rider B will be:

[tex] a_B = \frac{X^3 F_G - X^2 F_W}{X^3M} = \frac{F_G - \frac{F_W}{X}}{M}[/tex]

So Rider B will accelerate faster.

Keep in mind that if there were no air resistance and friction, you would basically keep accelerating downhill and never hit a top speed.

Thanks, but my experience is that the heavier rider, Rider A, passes rider B while coasting down hill, even if they start at the same velocity, v0. PHyzguy's analysis indicates the opposite should occur. I believe Newton's 2nd law of motion indicates that in a vacuum (no friction/resistance), a bowling ball and a feather will accelerate at the same rate. Thus if they are both dropped from a building, they will hit the ground at the same time. So I'm still confused.

No, you've missed it. Rider B is the bigger, heavier rider. He is X times larger in scale and X^3 times heavier than rider A. X is a number greater than 1. For the case you gave with Rider A at 120 pounds, and Rider B at 195 pounds, X would be about 1.17.

Related to Acceleration, bicyclists and ski racing

1. What is acceleration?

Acceleration is the rate of change of an object's velocity, meaning how fast the object's speed is increasing or decreasing.

2. How does acceleration affect bicyclists?

Acceleration plays a crucial role in the movement of a bicyclist. When a bicyclist pedals harder, they are increasing their acceleration, which results in a faster speed. On the other hand, when a bicyclist brakes, they are decreasing their acceleration and slowing down.

3. How does acceleration impact ski racing?

Acceleration is a key factor in ski racing, as it determines how fast a skier can move down the slope. Skiers can increase their acceleration by using proper techniques, such as tucking and carving, to gain speed. On the other hand, if a skier wants to slow down, they can decrease their acceleration by using their edges to make sharper turns.

4. What are some factors that can affect acceleration for both bicyclists and ski racers?

There are several factors that can impact acceleration for both bicyclists and ski racers. These include the weight of the rider or skier, the surface they are riding or skiing on, wind resistance, and the grade of the slope or terrain.

5. How can acceleration be calculated for bicyclists and ski racers?

Acceleration can be calculated by dividing the change in velocity by the change in time. For example, if a bicyclist goes from 10 mph to 20 mph in 5 seconds, their acceleration would be (20 mph - 10 mph) / 5 seconds = 2 mph/s. Similarly, for ski racers, acceleration can be calculated by dividing the change in speed by the change in time down the slope.