How long does it take to boil away 0.4L water from a copper pot?

In summary, the conversation is about a physics problem involving a heated copper pot, boiling water, and heat conduction. The participants discuss the necessary calculations to determine how long it would take for 0.4 L of water to boil away in the pot, with some disagreement over the feasibility of the result.
Sam
This one has me stumped. Please help me solve.

Thank you!

Time

A copper pot is heated by a burner which is at 195 ° C. If the water in the pot is boiling, how long does it take in seconds to boil away 0.4 L? The diameter of the pot is 27 cm, and it is 3.5 mm thick.

k copper = 9.4 · 10^-2 kcal/(m · s ° C)

Physics news on Phys.org
It's not too difficult if you can ignore any heat conducted up through the sides of the pot.

You have to determine the amount of heat needed to vaporize .4L of water, and divide by the rate at which heat is conducted through the copper base (assuming that the burner always supplies enough heat energy to maintain the outside temperature at the bottom of the pot at 195 degrees.

Can you do that?

I get 1.48 seconds. (Hope I haven't messed up the arithmetic.)

On the other hand, if conduction through the sides of the pot must be included, I don't think it can be done without knowing the depth of the water in the pot (but in that case I wouldn't know how to do it anyway ):smile:

Thanks

I did get 1.478607576 seconds, rounded to 1.48. I just forgot to take the thickness of the pot into consideration.

Thanks for the help.

Sam,
I arrived at the same answer, but this looks very suspicious to me: Boil away .4L of water in 1.4 secs in such a small pot? I call that an explosion.
Imagine you have your pot at 195°C, and pour in the water (let's say there's a bulk of hot material underneath so the water can't cool down the pot). What will probably happen is a big mess, after which you'll have to clean up the lab (if you're still alive ).

If I was you, I'd ask my prof what's the good of a problem like this.

1. How long does it take to boil away 0.4L of water from a copper pot?

The time it takes to boil away 0.4L of water from a copper pot depends on several factors, including the heat source, size and thickness of the pot, and altitude. However, on average, it takes about 5-7 minutes for 0.4L of water to evaporate from a copper pot on a stovetop set to high heat.

2. Does using a copper pot affect the boiling time of water?

Yes, using a copper pot can affect the boiling time of water. Copper is an excellent conductor of heat, so water in a copper pot can heat up faster than in other types of pots. It also helps to distribute heat evenly, leading to more efficient evaporation of the water.

3. Can the amount of water in the copper pot affect the boiling time?

Yes, the amount of water in the copper pot can affect the boiling time. The more water there is, the longer it will take to reach the boiling point and evaporate. Similarly, a smaller amount of water will boil faster in a copper pot.

4. Will the boiling time be different at high altitudes?

Yes, the boiling time of water in a copper pot can be affected by high altitudes. At higher altitudes, the air pressure is lower, which means water boils at a lower temperature. This can cause the water to take longer to reach the boiling point and evaporate.

5. Are there any safety precautions to consider when boiling water in a copper pot?

Yes, there are a few safety precautions to consider when boiling water in a copper pot. Make sure to use a pot holder or oven mitts to handle the hot pot, and be careful not to touch the hot steam. Also, always use caution when handling boiling water, as it can cause burns and scalding. Finally, make sure to follow the manufacturer's instructions for proper use and care of the copper pot.