Acceleration and Curvature: Understanding the Relationship

In summary: What I don't like is Greene's spinning disc explanation. It's just wrong and misleading.In summary, the conversation is discussing the relationship between acceleration and curvature in space-time. While one participant believes that acceleration and gravity have the same effects on space-time, others argue that this is not the case and that the effects of acceleration and gravity can be distinguished in small enough regions. Additionally, there is a discussion of different ways to visualize curvature, including using spacetime diagrams. However, one participant disagrees with the explanation given by Brian Greene in his book "The Elegant Universe."
Naty1
From another thread:

... Presumably transforming to a frame which is accelerating with respect to the flat frame would result in curvature...

No, no! Acceleration is different from gravity. Take simple Classical Mechanics and choose an accelerating RF. Such a change of variables introduces additional forces but the space remains flat, that's for sure.
(Bob for short's reply)

I thought acceleration DID curve space...
I'm coming from this perspective:

say in the rotating "rigid" disc...and via Einstein's equivalence principle...

for example, Brian Greene in THE ELEGANT UNIVERSE says:
And so Einstein realized that the familiar geometrical relationships..that pertain to flat space of the Greeks do not hold from the perspective of an accelerating observer. ..In fact accelerated motion not only results in a warping of space, it also results in an analogous warping of time."

any clarifications appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
If you start from a flat space-time, no variable change can alter the invariant R=0.

If you start from a Riemann space-time, you always stay within the same curvature R.

Einstein used a Riemann space-time, not that of Minkowsky's.

Naty1 said:
I thought acceleration DID curve space...
What he and I said is that acceleration doesn't curve spacetime. If you define "space" as a hypersurface (in Minkowski space) of constant time coordinate, then the curvature of space will of course depend on what coordinate system you're using.

The coordinate system I would associate with the motion of the point at the center of a rotating disc has flat hypersurfaces of constant time. To get a curved "space" you would have to do something like pick a point on the edge and define a local coordinate system by taking a segment of the world line of that point to be the time axis, and then use the standard synchronization convention to define the rest of it.

I don't like Greene's explanation of these things.

I could have equally well said I thought acceleration could be thought to curve spacetime...as well as space...

I doubt I really understand yet...I thought Einstein's equivalence said that acceleration and gravitational potential had the "same" effects...

Greene also uses a three dimensional disgram of an object moving thru spacetime (FABRIC OF THE COSMOS, page 61) ...say x,y are space and z is time, t...so a particle with constant velocity will trace out a straight line along, say, the t axis; rotational motion motion appears as a corkscrew along the t direction, and uniform accelerated motion as a curved trajectory...I believe I also saw this in another author's text but can't find it...

you guy's don't like such a representation??

I'm not an expert, but I believe the equivalence principle states that they have the same effect locally. However tidal effects occur due to the second derivative in the Riemann tensor, which cause neighbouring geodesics to diverge.

Naty1 said:
Greene also uses a three dimensional disgram of an object moving thru spacetime (FABRIC OF THE COSMOS, page 61) ...say x,y are space and z is time, t...so a particle with constant velocity will trace out a straight line along, say, the t axis; rotational motion motion appears as a corkscrew along the t direction, and uniform accelerated motion as a curved trajectory...I believe I also saw this in another author's text but can't find it...

I like them. Epstein uses a similar diagram to show an alternative way to visualize curvature. In the case of rotational motion (orbiting a bigger mass) the corkscrew is caused by a "density gradient" of the 2+1 spacetime, that bends the worldline around a column of higher density, because it advances slower in the denser region. This slower advance also models gravitational time dilation. Analogy: light rays are bent in a media with varying optical density / variable propagation speed.

Naty1 said:
I could have equally well said I thought acceleration could be thought to curve spacetime...as well as space...

I doubt I really understand yet...I thought Einstein's equivalence said that acceleration and gravitational potential had the "same" effects...
What it says is that an experiment that measures some of those effects won't be able to distinguish between gravity and acceleration if the region of spacetime in which the experiment is performed is small enough.

Naty1 said:

I don't dislike spacetime diagrams at all. In fact, I think they are by far the best way to explain almost anything in special relativity.

Related to Acceleration and Curvature: Understanding the Relationship

1. What is acceleration and how is it measured?

Acceleration is the rate of change of an object's velocity. It is measured in meters per second squared (m/s²).

2. How does acceleration relate to velocity?

Acceleration and velocity are closely related, as acceleration is the change in velocity over time. This means that an object with a constant acceleration will have a changing velocity.

3. What is curvature and how is it related to acceleration?

Curvature is a measure of how much a curve deviates from being a straight line. It is related to acceleration through the concept of centripetal acceleration, which is a type of acceleration that acts towards the center of a circular path.

4. How does acceleration affect an object's motion?

Acceleration can affect an object's motion in various ways. If an object experiences a linear acceleration, it will change its speed and possibly its direction. If an object experiences a centripetal acceleration, it will change its direction without changing its speed.

5. Can acceleration and curvature be negative?

Yes, both acceleration and curvature can be negative. Negative acceleration means that an object is slowing down, while negative curvature means that a curve bends in the opposite direction than expected. Both can also be positive, indicating an increase in speed or a curve in the expected direction.