AC Circuits: Solving for Impedance and Voltage in Complex Notation

In summary, the conversation discusses how to approach a problem involving complex notation and rules for resistors. The problem supplies formulas for impedance and the use of ##i## and ##j## in electrical calculations. The conversation also mentions using formulas for impedance in series and parallel to solve the problem.
Calpalned

Homework Statement

Screenshot (12).png

Screenshot (13).png

Homework Equations

##a + bi## complex notation
Rules of resistors given in part b
b = imaginary part

The Attempt at a Solution

For part (a) how do I rewrite I(t) as a + bi?
For part (b) I need a formula that equates Z to R.
For part (c) do I simply write b (from part a)?
For part (d) what does the tilde on V = IZ mean? Is the I complex?
For part (e) how can I find a real voltage if I've only been working with imaginary ones?
For part (f) I would naturally take the derivative of I, set it equal to zero to find a maximum? I know that if |V| = constant C, then V = +C and V = -C. How does this apply to the problem?

My teacher said that this is an applied math course (mathematical physics) but that we don't have to know physics, just be able to solve math. Additionally, I hope I am not breaking the policy of not asking more than one question, (this question has 6 parts).

Thank you.

Physics news on Phys.org
It looks like the problem has supplied most of the formulas you need, but not all of them.

To do part (a) you need the formulas for impedance of a capacitor and an inductor, as well as of a resistor. The formulas are here. Note that ##j## is used in electrical calcs for ##\sqrt{-1}##, rather than the ##i## that is used elsewhere in maths.

To do (b), use the results for the different impedances Z you got in (a), together with the formulas given in the first line of (b) for adding impedances in series and in parallel. Internet search 'series parallel circuit' if you don't know what 'series' and 'parallel' mean.

See how you go with that and whether you build up enough momentum to finish the problem. If not, show what you've managed to do, and further hints may be suggested.

Related to AC Circuits: Solving for Impedance and Voltage in Complex Notation

1. What is an AC circuit?

An AC circuit is an electrical circuit that is powered by an alternating current (AC) source, which means that the direction of the current periodically reverses. This is in contrast to a direct current (DC) circuit, where the current flows in only one direction.

2. What are some common applications of AC circuits?

AC circuits are used in a wide range of applications, including power generation, distribution, and transmission. They are also commonly used in household appliances, electronic devices, and industrial machinery.

3. How do AC circuits differ from DC circuits?

The main difference between AC and DC circuits is the direction of the current flow. In an AC circuit, the current periodically changes direction, while in a DC circuit, the current flows in only one direction. AC circuits also typically use transformers to step up or step down the voltage, while DC circuits do not.

4. What is the importance of understanding AC circuits?

Understanding AC circuits is crucial for anyone working with electrical systems or devices that use AC power. This knowledge allows for the safe and efficient design, installation, and maintenance of these systems and helps prevent accidents and malfunctions.

5. How can I calculate the properties of an AC circuit?

To calculate the properties of an AC circuit, you will need to use various formulas and equations, such as Ohm's Law, Kirchoff's Laws, and the power formula. It is also important to understand the concepts of impedance, reactance, and resonance in AC circuits. There are also various online calculators and software programs available to assist with these calculations.