AC Circuit; find average and reactive power to load (and load V and I)

In summary: Average power is positive, so the load must be dissipating average power. The source voltage is 250V, so the average power delivered by the source is:Psource = VIcosɸ =250*5*cos(-33.55) =1237.5WThe difference Psource - Pload is the power lost in the line, which you can calculate in the usual way.
Color_of_Cyan

Homework Statement

In the circuit shown, a load having an impedance of 39 + j26Ω is fed from a voltage source through a line having an impedance of 1 + j4Ω. The rms value of the source voltage is 250V.
a) Calculate the load current IL and voltage VL

b) Calculate the average and reactive power delivered to the load

Homework Equations

V = IR

I = V/R

voltage division

Polar form conversion

j*j = -1

1/j = -javerage power = VIcos∅

cos∅ = power factor

calculating power factorreactive power = (apparent power)sinθ

The Attempt at a Solution

Simplify to this first:

and then voltage division:

VL = (250∠0 deg)*[ (39Ω + 26Ωj)/(40Ω + 30Ωj) ] and in complete polar form:

VL = (250∠0 deg)*[ (46.8∠33.6)/(50∠36.8) ] VL = (234∠-3.25)Vsince the drop VL on the diagram is in the opposite direction thoughVL = (-234∠-3.25)VIL = (250∠0 V) / (50∠36.8 Ω)

IL = 5∠-36.8 ANow, not sure how to get part b from here. Any hints on how to calculate the angle to get power factor? What is meant by the angle between voltage and current to get power factor (and then being able to find average power)?

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
You have the angle of the load voltage relative to the source voltage, and you have the angle of the load current relative to that same reference, so you should be able to determine the angle of the load current relative to the load voltage.

I think your diagram illustrates the wrong idea, or maybe it is just misleading? The power line is represented by 1 + j4. The load voltage is the voltage across the 39 + j26.

since the drop VL on the diagram is in the opposite direction though
I don't see it.

NascentOxygen said:
you should be able to determine the angle of the load current relative to the load voltage.

Sorry for asking, but how exactly do you do this? Any hints? Subtract the angles? It seems confusing.
NascentOxygen said:
The power line is represented by 1 + j4. The load voltage is the voltage across the 39 + j26.

That's right. Were you referring to my simplification though? The simplification was just to find the impedance / voltage across.And I mean there is a + and - for the VL on the question diagram while the battery is the "other way" (isn't it?)

Last edited:
Color_of_Cyan said:
Sorry for asking, but how exactly do you do this? Any hints? Subtract the angles? It seems confusing.
If you draw the phasor diagram there should be no confusion. Simply subtract the angles.

And I mean there is a + and - for the VL on the question diagram while the battery is the "other way" (isn't it?)
The + and - are exactly how I'd expect them. No reversal necessary. The + of VL corresponds to the + of the source, so the potential divider equation gives VL as required. (To get current flowing in the load in the direction of the IL arrow, the top of the load must be + with respect to the bottom of the load.)

So VL stays positive then.Is the angle you are giving me the same for also determining power factor?And would the angle go: -36.8 - (-3.25) ?

Last edited:
Color_of_Cyan said:
Is the angle you are giving me the same for also determining power factor?
Yes, current relative to voltage gives the pf. The question does not ask you for the power factor angle, though. All it asks for is load voltage (relative to source, presumably), and load current (again, presumably relative to souce voltage).

And would the angle go: -36.8 - (-3.25) ?
That looks about right (though it is not asked for).

So if

average power = VIcos∅

cos∅ = power factorThen can you calculate the average power as:

Pavg 5*-234(cos(-3.25°)) ?

V I cosɸ, but using the power factor angle ɸ that you determined earlier. (As a check, your answer should be the same as if you'd used I².R )

That angle was a typo, so

Pavg = 5*-234*cos(-33.55)

Pavg = -975W

=975W supplied?

Related to AC Circuit; find average and reactive power to load (and load V and I)

1. What is an AC circuit?

An AC (alternating current) circuit is an electrical circuit that consists of both resistance and reactance components. It is powered by an alternating current, which continuously changes direction and magnitude over time.

2. How do you find the average power in an AC circuit?

To find the average power in an AC circuit, you can use the formula P = Vrms x Irms x cosθ, where Vrms is the root mean square voltage, Irms is the root mean square current, and cosθ is the power factor. This formula takes into account the effects of both resistance and reactance in the circuit.

3. What is reactive power in an AC circuit?

Reactive power is the power consumed or supplied by reactive components, such as inductors and capacitors, in an AC circuit. It is measured in volt-amperes reactive (VAR) and is responsible for the phase shift between voltage and current in the circuit.

4. How do you calculate reactive power in an AC circuit?

To calculate reactive power, you can use the formula Q = Vrms x Irms x sinθ, where Vrms is the root mean square voltage, Irms is the root mean square current, and sinθ is the sine of the phase angle between voltage and current. This formula takes into account the effects of reactance in the circuit.

5. What is the relationship between load voltage and load current in an AC circuit?

In an AC circuit, load voltage and load current are directly proportional to each other. This means that as the load voltage increases, the load current also increases, and vice versa. The relationship between the two is determined by the load's impedance, which includes both resistance and reactance components.