Abstract Algebra: Groups and Subgroups

In summary, the problem asks to show that a set H consists of all elements in S that commute with every element in S, is closed under an associative binary operation *. The student is unsure how to solve this problem and is looking for guidance as it will be on their exam. The solution involves using the definition of H and the associative property of the binary operation.
taylor81792

Homework Statement

The problem says: Suppose that * is an associative binary operation on a set S.
Let H= {a ε S l a * x = x * a for all x ε s}. Show that H is closed under *. ( We think of H as consisting of all elements of S that commute with every element in S)

My teacher is horrible so I am pretty lost in the class. I am aware of what the associative property is, but I'm not sure how to go about solving this question when it comes to the binary operation. This is going to be on my exam so I need to know how to solve it.

Homework Equations

No relevant equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I know that with associative and groups you would try to prove its isomorphism but I'm not sure where to begin with this one

Physics news on Phys.org
No isomorphism required...

You're just trying to show that, for any a,b[itex]\in[/itex]H, a*b[itex]\in[/itex]H. You should be able to do this with your definition of H plus associativity.

Related to Abstract Algebra: Groups and Subgroups

What is abstract algebra?

Abstract algebra is a branch of mathematics that studies algebraic structures such as groups, rings, and fields. It is a generalization of elementary algebra, where numbers are replaced by symbols and operations are defined on these symbols.

What is a group in abstract algebra?

In abstract algebra, a group is a mathematical structure consisting of a set of elements and a binary operation that combines any two elements to form a third element. The operation must also satisfy certain properties such as closure, associativity, identity element, and inverse element.

What is a subgroup?

A subgroup is a subset of a group that also forms a group under the same operation. It contains a subset of the elements of the original group and shares the same operation and properties.

What is the importance of studying groups and subgroups?

Groups and subgroups are important in abstract algebra because they provide a framework for understanding and analyzing more complex algebraic structures. They also have applications in other areas of mathematics, physics, and computer science.

Can you give an example of a group and a subgroup?

One example of a group is the set of integers under addition. A subgroup of this group could be the set of even integers, which forms a group under addition as well. In this case, the operation and properties of the subgroup are derived from the group it is a part of.