Absorption Line's Different Wavelengths

In summary, the absorption line was observed in the spectrum of the Galaxy, and it's wavelength was 494.9nm. However, when the same line was found to be 490nm in the laboratory (in orbit around Earth), it was determined that the Galaxy had been blue shifted, and was coming towards us at a velocity of 3000 km/s.
Atominate
Hey Guys. If an absorption line of hydrogen was observed in the spectrum of the Galaxy, and it's wavelength was 494.9nm, and then the same line was found to be 490nm in the laboratory (in orbit around Earth), what could be drawn from that?
Thanks,
Atominate

Physics news on Phys.org
What do you think?
Is this homework?

mfb said:
What do you think?
Is this homework?
I am doing a GCSE Astronomy course, but it's not for school. It is a long distance learning course, and this is a question on one of the assignments.

I know that the nm means the nanometers. From the nm of the absorption line, one can draw the temperature and radial velocity. To determine the velocity, one would:
(Observed Wavelength - True Wavelength) divided by the True Wavelength = v/c
(494.9 - 490) dived by 490 = 0.01
0.01 x 300000 (speed of light) = 3000
So we can say, that the Galaxy is blue shifted, and therefore coming towards us at a velocity of 3000 km/s?

I moved the thread to the homework section.

Does the wavelength get longer or shorter if the galaxy is moving towards us?

You might want to keep one more digit precision in the calculations.

mfb said:
I moved the thread to the homework section.
Does the wavelength get longer or shorter if the galaxy is moving towards us?
You might want to keep one more digit precision in the calculations.
Thanks for moving it to the more specific section. The wavelength would get shorter. What do you mean about the digit?

Atominate said:
The wavelength would get shorter.
But the wavelength you are given here gets longer.
Atominate said:
What do you mean about the digit?
Your rounding is quite imprecise.

I see, so the wavelength is increasing by 4.9nm meaning the Galaxy is moving away?

I've been told to consider the speed of light as 300,000km/s for this question. Is this what you mean about rounding?

Atominate said:
I see, so the wavelength is increasing by 4.9nm meaning the Galaxy is moving away?
Right.
Atominate said:
I've been told to consider the speed of light as 300,000km/s for this question. Is this what you mean about rounding?
No, that is fine. The 0.01 relative shift you calculated is imprecise. There is a huge difference between 0.005 and 0.0149 (a factor of 3!) but both would get rounded to 0.01 if you just keep two digits after the decimal point.

mfb said:
No, that is fine. The 0.01 relative shift you calculated is imprecise. There is a huge difference between 0.005 and 0.0149 (a factor of 3!) but both would get rounded to 0.01 if you just keep two digits after the decimal point.
I don't understand what you mean. I am not rounding any of the figures. Can you explain?

Ah I see, it happens to be "exactly" 0.01. I would still keep one more digit and write it as 0.010.

mfb said:
Ah I see, it happens to be "exactly" 0.01. I would still keep one more digit and write it as 0.010.
Okay. Thanks for your help.

Related to Absorption Line's Different Wavelengths

1. What is an absorption line?

An absorption line is a dark line in a spectrum that indicates the absorption of light by a specific element or molecule. These lines are created when light passes through a material and certain wavelengths are absorbed, leaving a gap in the spectrum.

2. Why do absorption lines appear at different wavelengths?

The wavelengths at which absorption lines appear are determined by the energy levels of the atoms or molecules in the material. Each element or molecule has a unique set of energy levels, so they will absorb light at specific wavelengths.

3. How can absorption lines be used in astronomy?

Astronomers use absorption lines to identify the chemical composition of stars and other celestial objects. By comparing the wavelengths of the absorption lines in a star's spectrum to known wavelengths for different elements, scientists can determine which elements are present in the star.

4. Can absorption lines tell us about the temperature of a star or galaxy?

Yes, the widths and depths of absorption lines can provide information about the temperature of a star or galaxy. The amount of broadening or narrowing of an absorption line is related to the speed and temperature of the material that is absorbing the light.

5. What causes absorption lines to shift to different wavelengths?

There are a few possible causes for absorption lines to shift to different wavelengths. One is the Doppler effect, which occurs when a light source is moving towards or away from an observer. Another cause is the gravitational pull of a massive object, which can cause the wavelengths of light to stretch or compress. Finally, absorption lines can also be shifted by interactions with other particles, such as collisions or chemical reactions.