Absorption and emission of light

This relaxation process is usually very fast, and the electron will lose it's energy quickly (as in, within picoseconds).In summary, when light is reflected or refracted, it happens on the atomic level where electrons are excited to higher energy levels and then relax back to lower energy levels. This process can result in the production of heat, as the excess energy from the excited electrons is transferred to the surrounding atoms through electron-phonon coupling. This also explains why some objects absorb light as heat, as they are able to absorb certain frequencies of light and convert it into thermal energy. However, the relationship between electron energy levels and the absorption
member 529879
What happens on the atomic level when light is reflected or refracted? Also why do some objects absorb light as heat?

Science news on Phys.org
Scheuerf said:
What happens on the atomic level when light is reflected or refracted? Also why do some objects absorb light as heat?
What do you understand about all that so far on your own?

phinds said:
What do you understand about all that so far on your own?
I just finished my first year of HS physics. We learned about what both reflection and refraction are, but not really much about absorption. I'm trying to understand the greenhouse effect, and how/why some things reflect light while others absorb it and turn its energy into heat.

Scheuerf said:
I just finished my first year of HS physics. We learned about what both reflection and refraction are, but not really much about absorption. I'm trying to understand the greenhouse effect, and how/why some things reflect light while others absorb it and turn its energy into heat.
Do you think that some things reflect all incident light and others absorb all of it? If not, what sort of factors might make something more prone to one or the other?

Likes member 529879
Some objects absorb certain frequencies and reflect other frequencies based upon their molecular structure don't they?

Scheuerf said:
Some objects absorb certain frequencies and reflect other frequencies based upon their molecular structure don't they?
Yes, and what is the result of absorption? You say some objects absorb light as heat. What else does absorption result in if not heat? that is, your statement is open to two interpretations, and I'm asking which one you mean

1) Some objects absorb light and that produces heat but other objects absorb light and it does not produce heat
2) Some objects absorb light, thus producing heat, and other objects do not absorb and light, thus no heat is generated

And by the way, I don't consider either of those to be correct, but before proceeding, I'd like to know which one you are saying.

Likes member 529879
phinds said:
Yes, and what is the result of absorption? You say some objects absorb light as heat. What else does absorption result in if not heat? that is, your statement is open to two interpretations, and I'm asking which one you mean

1) Some objects absorb light and that produces heat but other objects absorb light and it does not produce heat
2) Some objects absorb light, thus producing heat, and other objects do not absorb and light, thus no heat is generated

And by the way, I don't consider either of those to be correct, but before proceeding, I'd like to know which one you are saying.
I meant some objects don't absorb certain frequencies of light. For example white objects don't absorb any visible light.

Scheuerf said:
I meant some objects don't absorb certain frequencies of light. For example white objects don't absorb any visible light.
Which tells me nothing about what you think regarding the production of heat. You basically did not answer my question about your original post.

phinds said:
Which tells me nothing about what you think regarding the production of heat. You basically did not answer my question about your original post.
Sorry I forgot to add, as far as I'm aware objects always gain heat when absorbing light.

Scheuerf said:
Sorry I forgot to add, as far as I'm aware objects always gain heat when absorbing light.
Good. That's what I was getting at.

As far as white objects not absorbing any visible light, I'm not positive about that. "visible" gets a bit vague at the upper and lower ends and an object that is red-hot certainly emits visible light but it's possible that all of the heat absorption from such objects is in the non-visible part of the spectrum and the red that we see does not contribute anything to the heating of white objects.

Anyway, it had previously been my understanding that it's a simple matter of atoms gaining energy by electrons jumping up one or more energy levels but I was told, and I don't remember the details, that that is an overly simplistic model of what's happening.

So I guess all I've done here is help you clarify your position but not actually answer your question.

Likes member 529879
phinds said:
Good. That's what I was getting at.

As far as white objects not absorbing any visible light, I'm not positive about that. "visible" gets a bit vague at the upper and lower ends and an object that is red-hot certainly emits visible light but it's possible that all of the heat absorption from such objects is in the non-visible part of the spectrum and the red that we see does not contribute anything to the heating of white objects.

Anyway, it had previously been my understanding that it's a simple matter of atoms gaining energy by electrons jumping up one or more energy levels but I was told, and I don't remember the details, that that is an overly simplistic model of what's happening.

So I guess all I've done here is help you clarify your position but not actually answer your question.
Thanks, what I'm curious about is electrons jumping to higher energy levels. I'm somewhat familiar with it, but I wasn't really sure about its relation to the absorption of light. Is there anyone that knows what happens after the electron jumps to a higher energy level? Does the electron go back to its ground state giving the extra energy to heat? Also Is there any relation between electrons jumping to higher energy levels and reflection/refraction?

I guess the simple answer is that yes, usually light that is absorbed is turned into heat. It is not as simple to say that an electron moving from a ground state to an excited state gets "hotter," though. The kinetic theory of temperature can be used to explain what is happening to objects as they get "hotter." The thermal energy contained in a system is not strictly due to electron energy levels, although thermal excitation can raise the energy level of an electron. The opposite is also true, and can usually be explained through electron-phonon coupling. After an electron is excited to a higher energy state (either by lattice vibrations, i.e., temperature and phonons, or by absorption of a photon that corresponds to the energy level of the jump,) it can either; hold on to that energy for a little while, spontaneously emit a photon, be stimulated to emit a photon (think lasers,) or it can give up its energy to the lattice (temperature.)

Intuitively, I like to think of a beam of light hitting a material sort of like a wave in the ocean. If you look at the water, you will notice there are large crests, being made up of smaller crests, with tiny ripples riding all of these. The large crests are analogous to radio frequency waves, the smaller crests infrared, and the tiny ripples visible light. This is a very simple explanation, but I find it to work well. The properties of the material will determine how much of that wave is absorbed, or reflected. Most materials let radio waves (big crests) pass right through, many have strong absorption in the infrared (think resonance, as if the smaller crest waves sync up with the atoms making up the material and transfer their energy to it very well,) and many have high reflectivity in the visible. For reflection, you can think of the atoms making up the material as not being very "compliant" to the visible light radiation. This will cause a lot of the energy to be bounced back. Colors can be explained very simply by the difference in bounce back rates between the different energy waves. Things like metals have electron clouds which can occupy many different energy levels. This is one reason why you can't see through them, and also gives them their distinctive appearance.

These are simple explanations but I hope it gives you a little more insight into what's going on.

Likes member 529879
Scheuerf said:
Thanks, what I'm curious about is electrons jumping to higher energy levels. I'm somewhat familiar with it, but I wasn't really sure about its relation to the absorption of light. Is there anyone that knows what happens after the electron jumps to a higher energy level? Does the electron go back to its ground state giving the extra energy to heat? Also Is there any relation between electrons jumping to higher energy levels and reflection/refraction?

Yes, when it absorbs light(photon/energy actually) the electron goes to
higher energy levels, and it comes back to the ground state again by emitting energy. If the wavelength of emitted energy is equal to that of InfraRed(IR) then it is actually heat.

Not sure whether it is related to reflection or refraction, but my assumpion is, no. Those are optical properties, not atomic.

Likes member 529879

I found this video if anybody wants it. It explained that electrons actually do go to a higher energy level before being reflected or refracted if I understood it correctly.

Likes fireflies
Does anybody know what How greenhouse gases interact with infrared light to keep it in the atmosphere? Do they just absorb it?

Scheuerf said:
Does anybody know what How greenhouse gases interact with infrared light to keep it in the atmosphere? Do they just absorb it?
I am pretty sure that is just as simple as that, bearing in mind that quite a lot of the IR which gets absorbed is coming from the ground (or sea), not directly from sunlight.
In the absence of greenhouse gases more the IR would be radiated away into space, so the gases act in the same war as clothing or blanket will keep your warmth in.
Greenhouse gases are just gases that are particularly 'good' at absorbing photons which have IR wavelengths.
http://scied.ucar.edu/longcontent/greenhouse-effect

Related to Absorption and emission of light

1. What is absorption of light?

Absorption of light refers to the process in which a material absorbs light energy and converts it into other forms of energy, such as heat. This occurs when the energy of the incoming light matches the energy required for an electron in the material to transition to a higher energy state.

2. How does absorption of light affect the color of an object?

The color of an object is determined by the wavelengths of light that are reflected or absorbed by its surface. When an object absorbs certain wavelengths of light, the remaining wavelengths are reflected and perceived as the object's color. For example, a red object appears red because it absorbs all other colors of light except for red.

3. What is the difference between absorption and emission of light?

The absorption of light refers to the process of a material absorbing light energy, while emission of light is the process of a material releasing light energy. In absorption, the energy of the light is converted to other forms, while in emission, the energy is released as light.

4. What causes materials to emit light?

Materials emit light when their electrons transition from a higher energy state to a lower energy state. This can occur due to various factors such as heat, electrical energy, or chemical reactions. The specific energy levels and transitions of the electrons determine the color and intensity of the emitted light.

5. How is the absorption and emission of light used in scientific research?

The absorption and emission of light play a crucial role in many areas of scientific research, such as spectroscopy, astronomy, and photovoltaics. Scientists can use absorption and emission spectra to identify the chemical composition of materials, study the properties of distant objects in space, and develop more efficient solar cells, among many other applications.