Absolutely no idea how to solve these

In summary, the conversation is requesting help with three engineering physics problems from the Serway textbook. The first problem involves calculating the y component of the proton momentum as it enters and exits a magnetic field. The second problem deals with determining the angle of equilibrium for a square coil in a magnetic field. The third problem requires calculating the pitch and radius of a positron's trajectory as it enters a uniform magnetic field at an angle. The conversation also mentions the need for the person to show their own work and the thread being moved to a homework forum.
evildarklord1985
I'm asking you guys for serious help in these homework for Engineering physics.

1) Protons having a kinetic energy of 5.00 Me are moving in the positive x direction and enter a magnetic field B = 0.050k (T) directed out of the plane of the page and extending from x=0 to x=1.0 m . Calculate the y component of the proton momentum as they leave the magnetic field.

2) A long piece of wire of mass 0.1kg and length 4.0m is used to make a square coil 0.10m on a side. The coil is hinged along a horizontal side, carries a 3.4 A current, and is placed in a vertical magnetic field of magnitude 0.010 T. Determine the angle that the plane of the coil makes with the vertical when the coil is in equilibrium.

3) A uniform magnetic field of magnitude 0.150 T is directed along the positive x axis. A positron moving at 5.0 x 10^6 m/s enters the field along a direction that makes an angle of 85 degree with the x axis. The motion of the particle is expected to be a helix. Calculate the pitch p and the radius of the trajectory

All these problems are from Engineering Physics , Serway textbook...I stayed up a whole night already, but still couldn't figure out anything...

Physics news on Phys.org
Thread moved to the homework forums.

Welcome to the PF, evildarklord (interesting handle). You need to show some of your own work in order for us to help you (PF rules).

On -1- What equation governs the forces on a charged particle in a magnetic field?

-2- What equations describe the forces on a wire carrying a current?

-3- See -1- above.

I understand that sometimes complex problems can be challenging and frustrating to solve. I suggest breaking down each problem into smaller parts and using known equations and principles to approach each part.

For the first problem, you can use the equation for the magnetic force on a charged particle (F = qvB) to calculate the force on the protons as they enter the magnetic field. From there, you can use the equation for momentum (p = mv) to calculate the momentum in the y direction.

For the second problem, you can use the equation for the magnetic torque on a current-carrying loop (τ = IABsinθ) to calculate the torque on the coil. Set this equal to the torque due to gravity (mgLsinθ) and solve for the angle θ.

For the third problem, you can use the equation for the radius of a helix (r = mv⊥/qB) to calculate the radius of the positron's trajectory. The pitch can be calculated using the equation p = 2πr.

I would also recommend reviewing the relevant chapters in your textbook and seeking help from your professor or classmates if you are still struggling. Remember to approach each problem step by step and use the equations and principles you have learned. Good luck!

Related to Absolutely no idea how to solve these

1. How do I approach a problem that I have no idea how to solve?

When faced with a problem that seems daunting and you have no idea how to solve it, the first step is to break it down into smaller, more manageable parts. This will help you to better understand the problem and identify potential solutions. Additionally, seeking guidance from others, doing research, and thinking outside the box can also aid in finding a solution.

2. Why is it important to admit that I have no idea how to solve a problem?

Admitting that you have no idea how to solve a problem is important because it allows you to be honest with yourself and others. It also opens up the opportunity to seek assistance or collaborate with others who may have more knowledge or experience in the subject matter.

3. How can I develop critical thinking skills to help me solve problems I have no idea how to solve?

Critical thinking skills can be developed through practicing problem-solving, analyzing and evaluating information, and questioning assumptions. Additionally, seeking out new and challenging experiences, being open-minded, and constantly learning can also help to develop critical thinking skills.

4. Is it okay to ask for help when I have no idea how to solve a problem?

Yes, it is perfectly okay to ask for help when you have no idea how to solve a problem. Asking for help is not a sign of weakness, but rather a sign of self-awareness and a willingness to learn. Seeking guidance from others can lead to new perspectives and potential solutions that you may not have thought of on your own.

5. How can I stay motivated when I have no idea how to solve a problem?

Staying motivated when faced with a difficult problem requires perseverance and a positive mindset. It can be helpful to break the problem down into smaller tasks and celebrate small successes along the way. Seeking support from friends, family, or a mentor can also provide motivation and encouragement to keep pushing through the challenge.