Absolute Zero: The Founding Discoveries

In summary, there is some conflicting information about who first determined the value of absolute zero and when it was. However, Wikipedia is generally considered a reliable source for information, as it is peer-reviewed and can be cross-checked with other sources.
jaidon
This is a pretty straight forward question. Does anyone know who exactly first determined the value of absolute zero and when it was. I am getting conflicting information about it.

this is not a question i have to answer, just a little bit of information i would like to include in a physics lab report i am working on.

thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
sorry don't know much about Wikipedia. is it reliable? you know how you can't be sure of some of the things you read online.

Wikipedia generally is reliable since it is somewhat "peer-reviewed", so it is constantly viewed by the general public of which will include people who do know stuff about it. You can quickly cross check facts shown in Wiki by doing a google search for it and see what other sites have to say.

Related to Absolute Zero: The Founding Discoveries

1. What is the concept of absolute zero?

The concept of absolute zero is the theoretical temperature at which all molecular motion ceases and no heat energy is present. It is often considered to be the lowest possible temperature.

2. Who discovered absolute zero?

Absolute zero was not discovered by a single person, but rather it was first proposed by many scientists including Robert Boyle, Robert Hooke, and William Thomson. However, the concept was further developed and defined by Lord Kelvin in the 19th century.

3. How is absolute zero measured?

Absolute zero cannot be directly measured, but it can be calculated using the Kelvin scale, which is based on the properties of gases at various temperatures. It is also possible to measure temperatures very close to absolute zero using specialized equipment, such as cryogenic thermometers.

4. Is it possible to reach absolute zero?

No, it is not possible to reach absolute zero as it is only a theoretical concept. However, scientists have been able to cool certain substances to extremely low temperatures, such as a few billionths of a degree above absolute zero.

5. What are some practical applications of knowing about absolute zero?

Knowing about absolute zero has led to advancements in various fields such as cryogenics, quantum physics, and space exploration. It has also helped in the development of technologies such as superconductors, which are used in MRI machines and particle accelerators.