Marion Gothier on consciousness

In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of inverted spectrum cases, where individuals may experience colors differently without being able to communicate this difference due to language limitations. The paper by Marion provides further insight into this idea and the conversation concludes with skepticism towards traditional philosophical discussions.
confutatis
Here is a link to some interesting ideas. I couldn't find the original, but the paper by Marion is very interesting. Just disregard the comments in red:

http://home.jam.rr.com/dicksfiles/Marion/science.htm

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Hmmmm

confutatis said:
Here is a link to some interesting ideas. I couldn't find the original, but the paper by Marion is very interesting. Just disregard the comments in red:

http://home.jam.rr.com/dicksfiles/Marion/science.htm

Whar are inverted spectrum cases.

Last edited by a moderator:
Rader said:
What are inverted spectrum cases.

It's the idea that the experience of colour may vary between different individuals. For instance, you may see as 'red' something that I see as 'green', but because you use the word 'green' to refer to what I refer to as 'red', I have no way to know that we experience colour in different ways.

In other words, just another nonsense from traditional philosophy.

1. What is the focus of Marion Gothier's research on consciousness?

Marion Gothier's research primarily focuses on the neural correlates of consciousness, specifically investigating the brain mechanisms involved in generating conscious experiences.

2. What is the main argument of Marion Gothier's theory on consciousness?

Gothier's theory proposes that consciousness arises from the integration of neural activity in the brain, rather than being localized to a specific region or process. This integration allows for the emergence of a unified conscious experience.

3. How does Marion Gothier's research contribute to the understanding of consciousness?

Gothier's research has provided valuable insights into the neural basis of consciousness, helping to bridge the gap between subjective experiences and objective measurements. It has also helped to identify key brain regions and networks involved in consciousness.

4. What methods does Marion Gothier use in studying consciousness?

Gothier's research utilizes a variety of methods, including neuroimaging techniques such as fMRI and EEG, as well as behavioral experiments and computational models. These approaches allow for a multi-faceted investigation of consciousness.

5. What implications do Marion Gothier's findings have for our understanding of consciousness?

Marion Gothier's research has significant implications for our understanding of consciousness, providing evidence for a distributed and integrated neural basis of consciousness. It also highlights the importance of considering both subjective experiences and objective measurements in studying consciousness.