Absolute Value Graph: Explaining |2-x| Horizontal Translation Right

In summary, the absolute value function $|2-x|$ will have a horizontal translation to the right because it is equivalent to $|x-2|$. Another way of understanding the shift is to look at the value of $x$ that would result in the inside of the absolute value being zero, which corresponds to the origin. This method works for both positive and negative shifts. A table of values can also be used to demonstrate the shift.
buttretler
Can someone explain to me why |2-x| would have a horizontal translation to the right? When I've always been taught that anytime you see a [+] it will translate to the left. The graph would be a regular |x| graph but it is shift 2 spots to the right. Thanks to anyone for help

Mathematics news on Phys.org
Ineedhelppp said:
Can someone explain to me why |2-x| would have a horizontal translation to the right? When I've always been taught that anytime you see a [+] it will translate to the left. The graph would be a regular |x| graph but it is shift 2 spots to the right. Thanks to anyone for help

There are several ways of thinking about this. One way: $|2-x|=|x-2|$, so you can see that it must be shifted to the right. In addition, one way of thinking about shifting is to ask yourself at what value of $x$ will the stuff inside the magnitudes be zero? That value of $x$ is going to have the corner that $|x|$ normally does at the origin. The nice thing about this second way of thinking is that it works for positive or negative shifts. Does this answer your question?

I think the second way I understand better, it still leaves me hazey because if |x-2|=|2-x| would mean no shift is taking place. And the only way at my level to show it is to the right, is a table of values with f(0),f(1) and f(2). Either way thanks for the further inlightenment.

Related to Absolute Value Graph: Explaining |2-x| Horizontal Translation Right

1. What is the absolute value graph?

The absolute value graph is a type of graph that represents the absolute value of a number. It is a V-shaped graph that shows the distance of a number from zero on the number line.

2. How do you graph |2-x|?

To graph |2-x|, you need to plot points on the coordinate plane. The first point is when x equals 2, where the y-value is also 2. The second point is when x equals -2, where the y-value is also 2. Then, you can connect these two points with a straight line to form the V-shaped graph.

3. What does the horizontal translation right mean in |2-x|?

A horizontal translation right in |2-x| means that the graph is shifted to the right. In other words, the entire graph is moved towards the positive direction on the x-axis. This shift does not change the shape of the graph, but it changes the position of the points on the graph.

4. How does the horizontal translation right affect the graph of |2-x|?

The horizontal translation right affects the graph of |2-x| by changing the position of the graph on the coordinate plane. It does not change the shape of the graph, but it shifts the graph to the right. The distance of the shift is equal to the value of the horizontal translation.

5. What is the significance of the absolute value graph in real life?

The absolute value graph is significant in real life as it represents the distance of a number from zero. This concept is commonly used in physics, engineering, and other sciences to measure distances, velocities, and other quantities. It is also used in solving mathematical equations and inequalities.