Exploring rref for 89/TI Series: How it Works?

• Calculators
  • Thread starter Ebolamonk3y
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Series Works
In summary, The TI-89 and other TI series calculators have a command called "ref" which stands for "reduce to echelon form." This is a version of Gaussian elimination, a method for solving linear equations, that is optimized for circuit problems. The TI-89 also has a "rref" command, which stands for "refined version of Gaussian elimination," that can quickly solve problems and reduce the amount of operations needed. It is similar to Gauss-Jordan elimination and can be helpful for solving larger matrices. The "ref" command stops short and reduces the amount of operations needed, while the "rref" command gives the solution instantly in the form of an identity matrix next to the solutions. This can be especially useful
Ebolamonk3y
I met such such command for the 89 or the TI series...

ref=gaussian elemination...

rref=refined version of Gaussian...

I wonder who this thing works... Because for the basic circuit problems with like 7 currents... This rref is VERY nifty. If you set up the equations wrong, the answer do not report right and you have to go back and check every darn coefficient again... Then redo the whole thing until it does come out right...

Like, I know that nint uses Newtonian approximation, just want to know how this rref works...

Computer science news on Phys.org
It just follows a row reduction algorithm, AFAIK. I programmed a simple one a few years back. The TI-89 most likely has several optimization checks (zeros along the diagonal, etc.) which mine didn't do.
ref is short for "reduce to echelon form"

Hmm... so that reduce to echelon form is same as the process of Gaussian elemination?

Gauss-Jordan, I believe. Don't know if that's any different from what you're referring to.

I don't know if that's exactly what they do. I know that's one way to do it.

I know this thread is pretty old but let me put my two cents in.

I have a ti-89. rref ref were my friends in linear algerbra and circuit theory.

rref spat out the solution instantly giving a identity matrix next to the soulutions.

The ref command stopped short, so that x and y coefficients equaled 1. It reduced the amount of operations one would need to complete Gaussian elimination.

I'm talking about a 2x2 matrix with the solution column vector.
It gets real sweet when you have to solve a 3x3 matrix

If my instuctor wanted me to show my work then these commands saved my life during exams.

mRow
rowAdd

Gaussian Elimination was a snap because I had all the steps on my screen. Doing by hand was messy as hell if you made a mistake.

from what i just learned, gausian elimination(ref) is a matrix row operation reduce to an upper triangular.

but the RREF or reduce row echelon form is a refine form of gausian elimination of the [A] matrix to an "identity-like" matrix to find the solution, (constant).

1. What is "rref" and how does it relate to the TI Series calculator?

"rref" stands for reduced row echelon form, which is a way of simplifying a matrix by eliminating any unnecessary variables and making the matrix easier to work with. The TI Series calculator has a built-in function for finding the rref of a matrix, making it a useful tool for solving complex equations or systems of equations.

2. Why is it important to explore rref for 89/TI Series?

Exploring rref for 89/TI Series allows for a better understanding of how the calculator works and how to use it effectively. It also helps in solving mathematical problems more efficiently and accurately.

3. How do you use the rref function on a TI Series calculator?

To use the rref function on a TI Series calculator, you first need to enter the matrix you want to simplify into the calculator. Then, press the "2nd" button followed by the "x^-1" button. This will bring up the matrix menu. From there, select "rref" and press enter. The calculator will then display the simplified matrix.

4. Can rref be used for any type of matrix?

Yes, rref can be used for any type of matrix, including square matrices, rectangular matrices, and augmented matrices. However, the calculator may have limitations on the size and complexity of the matrix it can handle.

5. Are there any alternative methods for finding the rref of a matrix?

Yes, there are alternative methods for finding the rref of a matrix, such as using hand calculations or using other software programs. However, the rref function on the TI Series calculator is a convenient and efficient option for many users.