Absolute Uncertainty of a Negative Power

In summary, the relative and absolute uncertainties of R-2 if R is measured to be 4.5 ± 0.005 m are 2x10-3 and 1x10-4 respectively.
Redfire66
1. Determine the relative and absolute uncertainties of R-2 if R is measured to be 4.5 ± 0.005 m

2. The attempt at a solution
So according to what I know so far, multiplication and division of uncertainties requires the addition of relative uncertainties...

First I tried to get the relative uncertainty of R-2. I assumed that a power of negative 2, that would be division twice (which I got to be 0.005/4.5 + 0.005/4.5 or just 2*(0.005/4.5)).

According to the CAPA answers, the resulting answer I got was the correct relative uncertainty of R-2.
The relative uncertainty I got had a value of 2.3 x10-3 or just 2x10-3

But then when I tried to solve for the absolute uncertainty
I multiplied this to the value of 4.5
4.5-2*2*(0.005/4.5)
= 1x10-4 m-2
However the the question posted on the CAPA problems tells me that my answer is incorrect. I'm not sure what I did wrong; the system didn't allow more than 1 digit so I rounded it down from 1.2

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
I don't know who CAPA is, but I'm on your side: relative error of .0011 in R, .0022 (not .0023 !?) in R2, so .0022 in R-2 as well.

R-2 = .00494 and .0022 times that is .00011 (not .00012, though...).

That the system doesn't allow more than one digit is strange: it is a good habit to provide two digits if the first digit is a 1.

Likes 1 person
BvU said:
I don't know who CAPA is, but I'm on your side: relative error of .0011 in R, .0022 (not .0023 !?) in R2, so .0022 in R-2 as well.

R-2 = .00494 and .0022 times that is .00011 (not .00012, though...).

That the system doesn't allow more than one digit is strange: it is a good habit to provide two digits if the first digit is a 1.

Okay. I see my mistake... I inputted 4.4 instead of 4.5 to get 0.0012; but since it was still 2x10-3 the system gave me a correct answer for that part
I guess the program simply had the wrong answer since the only digit it wanted was the first one
Thanks for the help

Related to Absolute Uncertainty of a Negative Power

1. What is the absolute uncertainty of a negative power?

The absolute uncertainty of a negative power is a measure of the uncertainty or error associated with a measurement or calculation that involves a negative exponent. It is expressed in the same units as the quantity being measured or calculated.

2. How is the absolute uncertainty of a negative power calculated?

The absolute uncertainty of a negative power is calculated by taking the absolute value of the exponent and multiplying it by the absolute uncertainty of the base quantity. The resulting value is then multiplied by the base quantity raised to the power of the original exponent.

3. Why is it important to consider the absolute uncertainty of a negative power?

It is important to consider the absolute uncertainty of a negative power because it allows us to accurately represent the uncertainty associated with a measurement or calculation involving negative exponents. This helps to ensure the accuracy and validity of the results.

4. How does the absolute uncertainty of a negative power affect the final result?

The absolute uncertainty of a negative power can affect the final result by either increasing or decreasing the overall uncertainty. If the absolute uncertainty of the base quantity is large, then the uncertainty of the result will also be large. However, if the absolute uncertainty of the base quantity is small, then the uncertainty of the result will also be small.

5. Can the absolute uncertainty of a negative power be negative?

No, the absolute uncertainty of a negative power cannot be negative. The absolute uncertainty is always a positive value that represents the range of possible values that the result could fall within. A negative value would not make sense in this context.