Absolute Magnitudes for Cepheids

In summary, the person is asking for help with entering an equation into their scientific calculator. They have the value of P but are unsure of how to correctly input it. They have received different answers each time and are seeking assistance in identifying their mistake. They also mention solving for absolute magnitudes for Cepheids and provide the values of P and their first response, which was -9.34. They believe they may have forgotten to enter the negative sign in the equation.
sailof
Would somebody help me in entering a calculation into my scientific calculator?
The equation is Mv = - [2.76 log10(P) – 1.0)] – 4.16
I have the value of P but I'm not sure how to enter this into the calculator. I get a different answer every time.
Thanks,

Astronomy news on Phys.org
Can you tell us what P is, and some of the answers you are getting? Maybe we can spot what you're doing wrong. What did you get for the 2.76logP part?

I'm solving for absolute magnitudes for Cepheids. For my first Cepheid P is 50.0 and my first response was -9.34 but I think I forgot to enter the negative sign at the beginning of the equation.
thank you.

Related to Absolute Magnitudes for Cepheids

1. What is the purpose of calculating absolute magnitudes for Cepheids?

The absolute magnitude of a star is a measure of its intrinsic brightness, or the amount of light it emits. By calculating absolute magnitudes for Cepheids, we can determine their true luminosities and use them as standard candles to measure distances in the universe.

2. How are absolute magnitudes for Cepheids calculated?

Absolute magnitudes for Cepheids are calculated using a formula that takes into account the star's period of variability and its apparent magnitude, or the brightness as seen from Earth. This formula, known as the period-luminosity relation, was first derived by astronomer Henrietta Swan Leavitt in the early 20th century.

3. What is the significance of Cepheids in astronomy?

Cepheids are important in astronomy because of their predictable and regular pulsations, which make them reliable standard candles for measuring distances in the universe. They have been used to determine the distances to nearby galaxies and have played a crucial role in the development of the cosmic distance ladder.

4. How do Cepheid variables help us understand the size of the universe?

By using Cepheid variables as standard candles and measuring their apparent and absolute magnitudes, we can calculate the distance to objects in the universe. This allows us to create a three-dimensional map of the universe and estimate its size and expansion.

5. Are there any limitations to using Cepheid variables for distance measurements?

While Cepheid variables are reliable standard candles for measuring distances up to a certain point, they do have limitations. Their period-luminosity relation breaks down at very high luminosities, and they are not as useful for measuring distances beyond a certain distance. In these cases, other standard candles such as supernovae or the cosmic microwave background radiation are used.