Absolute magnitude in cosmology

In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of absolute magnitude and how it relates to the redshift of distant galaxies. The answer is that the absolute magnitude is independent of redshift, while the apparent magnitude is affected by it. The conversation also mentions a problem and its solution related to determining the absolute magnitude of a galaxy in the B filter. The solution includes a formula for monochromatic luminosity and a discussion about using observed or emitted wavelengths in the calculation. The person asking the question is seeking clarification on the solution and whether their understanding is correct.
RingNebula57
When referring to the absolute magnitude ,for example, in the B filter of a distant galaxy(considered point source) what are we talking about? Are we talking about the observed redshifted flux density(luminosity density) hypothetically seen from 10 pc away (1) ; or are we talking about the actual intinsic flux density hypothetically seen form 10 pc away (2)?
I encountered an exercises in which it is written that (1) is the case but I don't undesrand why. Is it because the blue (B) in (1) is diffrent from the B in (2) because of the redshift?

Space news on Phys.org
The answer is (2). The absolute magnitude is independent of the redshift of the object. The apparent magnitude is affected by redshift.

Is it okay if I show you the problem (with solution) because I don't want to have any confusion? Shall I post it here or on homework forum?

If you already have a solution, there is no point in posting in the homework forum. If you have attempted a solution but you're not sure if it's correct, then you can post the problem and your attempt at the solution in the homework forum.

PeterDonis said:
If you already have a solution, there is no point in posting in the homework forum. If you have attempted a solution but you're not sure if it's correct, then you can post the problem and your attempt at the solution in the homework forum.
Yeah, if you don't need help with the solution, but just want help understanding what's going on, this is a good place to ask.

Ok , so the problem states:
" Within the field of a galaxy cluster at a redshift of z = 0.500, a galaxy
which looks like a normal elliptical is observed, with an apparent magnitude
in the B filter mB = 20.40 mag. The luminosity distance corresponding
to a redshift of z = 0.500 is dL = 2754 Mpc. The spectral
energy distribution (SED) of elliptical galaxies in the wavelength range
250 nm to 500 nm is adequately approximated by the formula:
Lλ(λ) ∝ λ^4
(i.e., the spectral density of the object’s luminosity, known also as the
monochromatic luminosity, is proportional to λ^4.)
(a) What is the absolute magnitude of this galaxy in the B filter ?
(b) Can it be a member of this cluster?
Hint: Try to establish a relation that describe the dependence of the
spectral density of flux on distance for small wavelength interval. Normal
elliptical galaxies have maximum absolute magnitude equal to -
22 mag. For blue band, effective midpoint wavelength is 445nm and
FWHM is 94nm. "

And the solution is:

"
λemitted =λobserved/(1+z)
Let monochromatic flux of the galaxy be denoted by S(λ), then for small wavelength interval Δλ,

poza pf.png

In case you can't see the subscripts for λ in formula 19.97 , they are "ob" and "emitted".
The reason for the question is the third line of the pictured solution. According to the solution λ=λobserved, so when the 10 pc monochromatic flux is calculated they use the observed spectral energy distribution Lλ(λ). In my opinion the first line is correct because that is the definition of the luminosity distance, but on the second line I think it should've been Lλ(λobserved/(1+z)).
Am I wrong somehow?

By the way, is their solution ok?

Related to Absolute magnitude in cosmology

1. What is absolute magnitude in cosmology?

Absolute magnitude in cosmology is a measure of the intrinsic brightness of an object in space, independent of its distance from Earth. It is often denoted as M and is used to compare the luminosity of different celestial objects.

2. How is absolute magnitude different from apparent magnitude?

Apparent magnitude is a measure of how bright an object appears from Earth, taking into account its distance. On the other hand, absolute magnitude is a measure of the true brightness of an object, without the effects of distance.

3. How is absolute magnitude calculated?

Absolute magnitude is calculated by measuring the apparent magnitude of an object and then correcting for its distance. This is done using the distance modulus formula: M = m - 5(log(d) - 1), where M is absolute magnitude, m is apparent magnitude, and d is the distance to the object in parsecs.

4. What is the significance of absolute magnitude in cosmology?

Absolute magnitude is an important tool for understanding the properties of celestial objects. By knowing the absolute magnitude, scientists can determine the luminosity, size, and age of stars and galaxies, and make comparisons between different objects in the universe.

5. How does absolute magnitude relate to the Hubble constant?

The Hubble constant is a measure of the rate at which the universe is expanding. By measuring the absolute magnitude and apparent magnitude of objects at different distances, scientists can calculate the Hubble constant and gain a better understanding of the evolution of the universe.