Welcome to our community

Be a part of something great, join today!

absolute convergence

dwsmith

Feb 1, 2012
Prove the Schwarz's and the triangle inequalities for infinite sequences:
If
$$
\sum_{n = -\infty}^{\infty}|a_n|^2 < \infty\quad\text{and}\quad
\sum_{n = -\infty}^{\infty}|b_n|^2 < \infty
$$
then
$\sum\limits_{n = -\infty}^{\infty} a_nb_n$ converges absolutely.

To show this, wouldn't I need to know that the |a_n| is bounded not the sum of squares?

girdav

Feb 1, 2012
To see the series is absolutely convergent doesn't need Schwarz inequality, just write that $2|a_nb_n|\leq |a_n|^2+|b_n|^2$.

But we can use Schwarz inequality to get an estimation of the sum, using it first for finite sums, then taking the limit.

dwsmith

Feb 1, 2012
To see the series is absolutely convergent doesn't need Schwarz inequality, just write that $2|a_nb_n|\leq |a_n|^2+|b_n|^2$.

But we can use Schwarz inequality to get an estimation of the sum, using it first for finite sums, then taking the limit.
Should $|a_nb_n|^2$?

girdav

Feb 1, 2012
Where?

dwsmith

Feb 1, 2012

girdav

Feb 1, 2012
Indeed, $|a_nb_n|^2$ will be summable, but here we show more (that $|a_nb_n|$ is summable). I think the inequality I wrote as stated. Did you try to show it and use it?

dwsmith

Feb 1, 2012
We have that $|a_n - b_n|^2 \leq |a_n|^2 + |b_n|^2 - 2|a_nb_n| \geq 0$, i.e. $|a_n|^2 + |b_n|^2 \geq 2|a_nb_n|$.
Let $\sum\limits_{n = -\infty}^{\infty}|a_n|^2 = \alpha < \infty$ and $\sum\limits_{n = -\infty}^{\infty}|b_n|^2 = \beta < \infty$.
Then
$$
\alpha + \beta \geq 2\sum\limits_{n = -\infty}^{\infty}|a_nb_n|\iff \sum\limits_{n = -\infty}^{\infty}|a_nb_n|\leq\frac{\alpha + \beta}{2} < \infty.
$$

dwsmith

Feb 1, 2012
Now I am trying to show this for the same problem.
$$
\left|\sum_{n = -\infty}^{\infty}a_nb_n\right|^2\leq \left(\sum_{n = -\infty}^{\infty}|a_n|^2\right)\left(\sum_{n = -\infty}^{\infty}|b_n|^2\right)
$$

$$
\left|\sum_{n = -\infty}^{\infty}a_nb_n\right|^2\leq\sum_{n = -\infty}^{\infty}|a_nb_n|^2
$$

Is it this
$$
\sum_{n = -\infty}^{\infty}|a_nb_n|^2 = \sum_{n = -\infty}^{\infty}|a_n|^2\sum_{n = -\infty}^{\infty}|b_n|^2
$$
or
$$
\sum_{n = -\infty}^{\infty}|a_nb_n|^2 \leq \sum_{n = -\infty}^{\infty}|a_n|^2\sum_{n = -\infty}^{\infty}|b_n|^2
$$

Last edited:

girdav

Feb 1, 2012
The latter (actually, a nice exercise is to show that we have the former if and only if we can find a constant $\lambda$ such that for each $n$, $a_n=\lambda b_n$.