Absence of air in well holes eliminate change in pressure?

In summary, it would be difficult, if not impossible, to completely eliminate the influx of air into a drilled hole by using this method.
ahmed11
if i sucked air out of an oil well after drilling a few feet and closed the hole by any means and continued drilling without allowing air in, will that eliminate change in influx and won't result in a kick?
or because i can't suck air completely out so the delta p will be really high?

Physics news on Phys.org
ahmed11 said:
if i sucked air out of an oil well after drilling a few feet and closed the hole by any means and continued drilling without allowing air in, will that eliminate change in influx and won't result in a kick?

hi there
trying to make sense of that ? specially this bit
what influx of what ? what kick ?
Dave

ahmed11 said:
or because i can't suck air completely out so the delta p will be really high?
The hydrostatic pressure at the enormous depths of an oil well wouldn't be affected much by reducing the pressure of air in the top of a bore by just one Atmosphere (which is as much as you can 'suck').
I think that's what you are talking about?

davenn said:
hi there
trying to make sense of that ? specially this bit
what influx of what ? what kick ?

Dave
Infux - I don't know.
kick - a pressure transient from the way down at the drill head. Can blow your pipes. I think it comes from plowing (drilling) through changes in porosities ( and densities I guess ) of rock. For example, more porous and the fluid inflow way down under ( maybe that is the influx ) can suddently increase the pressure at the bit and the pressure wave travels up the line to you and your machineray at the surface, and possibly up and down a few time before it dissipates. Probably more complicated that that.

Related to Absence of air in well holes eliminate change in pressure?

1. What is the purpose of eliminating air in well holes?

The purpose of eliminating air in well holes is to prevent any changes in pressure that could affect the accuracy of measurements or the integrity of the well.

2. How does the absence of air in well holes affect pressure?

The absence of air in well holes creates a vacuum, which eliminates any changes in pressure caused by external factors such as wind or temperature fluctuations.

3. What are the benefits of having no air in well holes?

Having no air in well holes ensures a more reliable and consistent pressure reading, which is crucial for accurate scientific measurements and data analysis.

4. Is it necessary to remove all air from well holes?

Yes, it is necessary to remove all air from well holes in order to maintain a constant pressure and avoid any interference with the well's function.

5. How is air removed from well holes?

Air can be removed from well holes by using a vacuum pump or by purging the well with water until all air bubbles are eliminated.