Coupled Pendulum Research & Info: Any Good Suggestions?

In summary, a coupled pendulum is two pendulums that are connected in series, and as they move, they never cross each other.
LLT
any good website suggested on coupled pendulum?
I have to do an investigation and I'm going to investigate simple pendulum (which is easy) than physical pendulum (just some calculation of mass as stuff) and than finally come into coupled pendulum. And I don't actually know much on coupled pendulum, but it looks fun. I need some information and stuff for it.

Physics news on Phys.org
The thread title caught my attention because I've never heard of a coupled pendulum. Checking quickly in a book on mechanics I find the terms "Compound Pendulum" and "Coupled Oscillators" but no "Coupled Pendulums".

It could be, therefore, that an exact description of the situation you're talking about, whatever it's called, will clarify where people should reccomend you look for more detailed info.

Originally posted by LLT
any good website suggested on coupled pendulum?
I have to do an investigation and I'm going to investigate simple pendulum (which is easy) than physical pendulum (just some calculation of mass as stuff) and than finally come into coupled pendulum. And I don't actually know much on coupled pendulum, but it looks fun. I need some information and stuff for it.
http://www.dee.cefet-ma.br/fisica/eng/pendkop_e.html

Last edited by a moderator:
when you mean a coupled pendulum do you mean that they are parallel to each other and don't meet?

if so and given a difference in time in their movemnet they will never cross each other.

am i right or wrong?

You have two pendulum connected in series. It's not a difficult problem to solve.

JMD

what i meant was 2 pendulums are of the same mass and of the same level and they are attached by a string... That's good... Thanks for all the help...

1. What is a coupled pendulum?

A coupled pendulum refers to a system of two or more pendulums that are connected and interact with each other. The motion of one pendulum affects the motion of the others, creating complex and interesting patterns.

2. How does a coupled pendulum work?

A coupled pendulum works through the transfer of energy between the pendulums. When one pendulum swings, it transfers energy to the other pendulum, causing it to also swing. This exchange of energy continues, creating a continuous motion.

3. What are some practical applications of coupled pendulums?

Coupled pendulums have been used in various fields such as seismology, robotics, and engineering. They can also be used as a visual demonstration of complex systems and chaotic behavior in physics and mathematics.

4. How are coupled pendulums studied in research?

Coupled pendulum research typically involves analyzing the motion and energy transfers between the pendulums, as well as studying the effects of different parameters such as length and weight on the system. Computer simulations and physical experiments are commonly used in this research.

5. Are there any good resources for learning more about coupled pendulums?

Yes, there are many resources available for learning about coupled pendulums, including textbooks, scientific articles, and online videos and simulations. Some universities and research institutions also offer courses or workshops on this topic.