About to finish my PhD and dont know what to do?

• Thread starter mtak0114
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Phd
In summary: Having worked on projects (especially in a group setting whether its physically with people or say on an open-source project where everything is done online), then its important that you tell the employer this in a short, concise way when you apply for jobs.In summary, this person is considering a career change into industry or finance, but is unsure if it would be difficult to come back to physics after a few years in the work force. They mention that they have done programming in the past and that this would be something that would be helpful if they were to enter the work force.
mtak0114
So I am about to finish my PhD and am stressing a lot about my future. I have two possible options which I am thinking of either staying in physics and getting a post-doc or moving into industry or perhaps finance.

So this is my thought process: I really enjoy certain aspects of physics but am concerned with what is in store for my future ( the standard story of going through several post docs before maybe getting a permanent positon doesn't appeal to me). I have so far basically spent my whole life studying and I don't really know what it is like to enter the work force so if I do decide to move into industry/finance just to test out what it is like for several years how difficult would it be for me to return to physics (keeping in mind that my PhD has been in theoretical quantum physics)? Is this possible? or am i better off doing the converse test out what a Post doc is like and if I am unsatisfied move into industry after that?

thank you very much in advanced, any help would be greatly appreciated

Mark

Physics news on Phys.org
Hey Mark,
I am new here, and am also in my penultimate year of grad school.. Just read your post, what's your area of study ? Maybe if you give the details, it will help ?

Thanks
Savvy

So to give a bit more context:
My PhD topic is a bit exotic where I was primarily focussed on developing a consistent theory of Quantum information in the context of relativity. But I have also balanced this with application driven research where I was involved in various theoretical aspects of specific realizations of qubits.

thanks again

Hey mtak0114.

Have you done any substantial amount of programming?

Have you done any substantial amount of programming?

During my PhD I have done very little programming but I have done a a fair bit of programming during my undergraduate degree. I don't know if you would call it substantial though...

This is something that I realize that I would probably need to scratch up on if I am to enter the work force.

mtak0114 said:
During my PhD I have done very little programming but I have done a a fair bit of programming during my undergraduate degree. I don't know if you would call it substantial though...

This is something that I realize that I would probably need to scratch up on if I am to enter the work force.

The most important point for a developer role is not so much the courses that you have done but the working and real knowledge that you have.

If you have worked on projects (especially in a group setting whether its physically with people or say on an open-source project where everything is done online), then its important that you tell the employer this in a short, concise way when you apply for jobs.

If you can make use of networking then even better.

You'd be surprised at how many people with CS degrees can't really write their own code, or more importantly read and work with other peoples code.

Related to About to finish my PhD and dont know what to do?

1. What are my career options after finishing my PhD?

There are many career paths available to those who have completed their PhD. Some common options include pursuing a career in academia as a professor or researcher, working in government or industry as a scientist or consultant, or using your expertise to start your own business. It's important to explore your interests and network with professionals in your field to determine the best fit for your skills and goals.

2. How do I decide if I should continue in academia or pursue a non-academic career?

This decision ultimately depends on your personal interests and career goals. Consider your strengths and passions, as well as the job market and opportunities in your field. Research and networking can also help you gain a better understanding of the demands and potential rewards of both academic and non-academic careers.

3. What can I do to make myself more competitive in the job market?

Some steps you can take to improve your competitiveness include gaining teaching or research experience, networking with professionals in your field, publishing your research, and developing transferable skills such as communication, project management, and leadership. It's also important to tailor your application materials (resume, cover letter, etc.) to specific job opportunities.

4. Should I consider a postdoctoral position after completing my PhD?

Postdoctoral positions can be beneficial for gaining additional research experience, building your resume, and expanding your professional network. However, they may not be necessary or desirable for all career paths. Consider your goals and weigh the potential benefits and sacrifices before making a decision.

5. How can I best prepare for life after completing my PhD?

In addition to gaining relevant experience and building your network, it's important to take care of your mental and physical health during this transitional period. Seek support from mentors, friends, and colleagues, and be open to seeking professional help if needed. Also, continue to set goals and make plans for your future, whether that includes pursuing a specific career path or taking a break to focus on personal growth and well-being.