About the use of wormhole in the interstellar movie

In summary, the conversation discusses the use of the wormhole in the movie Interstellar as a means of traveling to a distant place in the universe. One character stayed behind to study the observations from the wormhole and black hole while the others explored a nearby planet. When they returned, the character mentioned they could not send any information back. The question is raised as to why they didn't use the wormhole again to travel closer to Earth and send the information from there. The lack of fuel is a possible explanation, but the movie does not provide a clear justification.
Quasi Lunatik
I am new to this forum and don't quite know if these types of questions are appreciated here or not but i have a question about the use of wormhole in the interstellar movie.

We saw that they used the wormhole to travel to a distant place on the universe. When the main characters went to the planet (Miller's planet) close to the black hole one guy from the team stayed in the main ship to study the observations from the wormhole and the black hole.

When they returned from Miller's planet, the guy staying in the ship said, "I learned what i could learn from the black hole; but i could not send anything..."

My question is, why not use the wormhole again to travel to close to Earth and then try to send the info? The wormhole is supposed to be a two way thing, right?

PS. I have absolutely no background in astrophysics and general relativity. But i love these stuffs! So, please ignore my lack of knowledge.

Astronomy news on Phys.org
It is science fiction. I don't remember if they tried to give some justification in the movie, but a wormhole should work both ways. The lack of fuel would be a possible reason, but they seem to have access to infinite fuel to get that close to the black hole and back again so using that argument would be very unrealistic.

Likes Quasi Lunatik

1. How does the wormhole work in the interstellar movie?

In the movie, the wormhole is portrayed as a tunnel through space-time that allows for faster-than-light travel. It is created by a massive artificial black hole and is used by the characters to travel to distant galaxies.

2. Is the concept of a wormhole scientifically accurate?

The concept of a wormhole is still a theoretical concept in physics and has not been proven to exist in reality. However, the depiction of the wormhole in the movie is based on current scientific theories and calculations.

3. How does the wormhole affect time in the interstellar movie?

In the movie, the wormhole causes time dilation, meaning that time moves slower for those inside the wormhole compared to those outside. This allows the characters to travel through the wormhole and experience time differently than those on Earth.

4. Can wormholes be used for time travel?

According to current scientific theories, wormholes may potentially allow for time travel. However, it is still a highly debated and unproven concept in physics.

5. Are there any potential dangers associated with using a wormhole?

As depicted in the movie, traversing through a wormhole can be dangerous and unpredictable. The characters face challenges such as extreme gravitational forces and the risk of getting lost in the vastness of space. In reality, the potential dangers of using a wormhole are still unknown and purely theoretical.