About quadrilateral (geometrical problem)

• Thread starter pizzicato
  • Start date
In summary, the problem is to calculate the new diagonals A1, B1, C1, D1 of a tetrahedron created by applying vertical displacements to a rectangle in 3D Cartesian geometry. This can be done using trigonometry and the Cartesian formula for distance between points, using the initial distances and angles provided. The shape is referred to as a tetrahedron rather than a quadrilateral, and the inputs CD0 and DA0 are unnecessary since the original shape is a rectangle.
pizzicato
Hello,
I have the following problem in geometry:
Given a rectangle A, B, C, D consisting of segments AB, BC, CD, DA.
At one time I apply vertical displacements at the vertices A, B, C and D perpendicular to the plane of the original rectangle.
I have a new quadrilateral A1, B1, C1, D1 in space.
Is it possible to have a formula allowing me to calculate the new diagonals A1, B1 and C1, D1 based solely on the following data:
- The initial distances AB0, BC0, CD0, DA0
- Angles (A1B1, AB), (B1C1, BC) (C1D1, CD), (D1A1, DA).

Thanks a lot.

Physics news on Phys.org
I think the easiest way to solve this will be 3D Cartesian geometry - ie using coordinates.

Without loss of generality you can set A=(0,0,0), B=(AB0,0,0), C= (AB0,BC0,0), D=(0,BC0,0), and A1=A. The last one is valid because shifting the whole set of points A1...D1 up or down by the same amount doesn't change the distances between any of those points, including the 'diagonals'.

Then just use trigonometry in triangle ABB1 with the length AB0 and angle (A1B1,AB) to get the height (z coordinate) of B1. You can then work around the other points C1, D1, getting their z coordinates. Then you just use the Cartesian formula for distance between points to get the 'diagonals'.

BTW I would call the new shape a tetrahedron, rather than a quadrilateral, because it is unlikely to be planar. ALso, the inputs CD0 and DA0 are unnecessary since we are given that the original shape is a rectangle.

Related to About quadrilateral (geometrical problem)

What is a quadrilateral?

A quadrilateral is a polygon with four sides and four angles. It is a two-dimensional shape that can be classified into different types based on the length of its sides and the measure of its angles.

What are the properties of a quadrilateral?

The properties of a quadrilateral include having four sides, four angles, and four vertices. The opposite sides of a quadrilateral are parallel, and the opposite angles are equal. The sum of all its angles is 360 degrees. Additionally, the diagonals of a quadrilateral bisect each other.

What are the different types of quadrilaterals?

There are several types of quadrilaterals, including square, rectangle, parallelogram, rhombus, kite, trapezoid, and irregular quadrilateral. These types are differentiated based on the length of their sides and the measure of their angles.

How do you find the area of a quadrilateral?

The formula for finding the area of a quadrilateral depends on the type of quadrilateral. For example, the area of a square or rectangle can be calculated by multiplying its length and width, whereas the area of a parallelogram can be calculated by multiplying its base and height. The area of irregular quadrilaterals can be found by dividing it into smaller shapes with known formulas for area and then adding them together.

How do you prove that a quadrilateral is a parallelogram?

To prove that a quadrilateral is a parallelogram, you need to show that both pairs of opposite sides are parallel and equal in length. You also need to prove that both pairs of opposite angles are equal. This can be done using various methods, such as the properties of parallelograms, congruent triangles, or using coordinates and slope.