About normalization of periodic wave function

In summary, the wave function in a periodic potential is not a wave function that describes a physical state.
KFC
Hi all,
I am reading something on wave function in quantum mechanics. I am thinking a situation if we have particles distributed over a periodic potential such that the wave function is periodic as well. For example, it could be a superposition of a series of equal-amplitude plane waves with different wave number (some positive and some negative) so to give a form of ##f(x+2\pi)=f(x)##. In this case, I wonder how do we normalize the wave function. I try the following but it almost give something close to zero because the integral gives something very large

##
f [\int_{-\infty}^{+\infty}|f|^2dx]^{-1}
##

But since it is periodic, do you think I should normalize the wave function with the normalization factor computed in one period as follows:

##
\int_{-\pi}^{+\pi}|f|^2dx
##

Physics news on Phys.org
That's very simple to answer. Since ##\int_{\mathbb{R}} \mathrm{d} x |f(x)|^2## doesn't exist in this case, it is not a wave function that describes a physical state, and thus you never ever need to consider it let alone normalize it.

If you have in mind the momentum eigenstates, you should realize that these are not wave functions but generalized functions which allow you transform from the position representation to momentum representation and vice versa. Here you normalize them "to a ##\delta## distribution". The momentum eigenstates are given by the equation
$$\hat{p} u_p(x)=-\mathrm{i} \partial_x u_p(x)=p u_p(x) \; \Rightarrow\; u_p(x)=N_p \exp(\mathrm{i} x p).$$
To "normalize" these functions conveniently you use
$$\int_{\mathbb{R}} \mathrm{d} x u_{p}^*(x) u_{p'}(x)=N_p^* N_{p'} \int_{\mathbb{R}} \mathrm{d} x \exp[\mathrm{i} x(p-p')=2 \pi \delta(p-p') |N_p|^2 \stackrel{!}{=} \delta(p-p') \;\Rightarrow \; N_p=\frac{1}{\sqrt{2 \pi}},$$
up to an irrelevant phase factor. So for convenience one uses
$$u_p(x)=\frac{1}{\sqrt{2 \pi}} \exp(\mathrm{i} p x).$$
Then the momentum-space wave function is given by the Fourier transformation of the position-space wave function, i.e.,
$$\tilde{\psi}(p)=\int_{\mathbb{R}} \mathrm{d} u_p^*(x) \psi(x),$$
which is inverted by
$$\psi(x)=\int_{\mathbb{R}} \mathrm{d}p u_p(x) \tilde{\psi}(p).$$

Likes topsquark and bhobba
Thanks for your reply. I am still reading your reply but I am still confusing on some parts. Since you mention the momentum space, I wonder if the following is physically possible or not. Taking crystal as example, in the text they always start the discussion with periodic lattice in position space so the k space is also periodic. So if k space is periodic, is it possible to input some wave in some form onto the crystal such that the wave in k space is periodic. If that's possible, how do we normalize the wave in k space? It is confusing me. I am always thinking a picture that in k space, we may see a Gaussian in every single recipical lattice site but such Gaussian is repeating from and to infinity so they don't add up to a finite value. In your example, you consider the delta function and derive the normalization factor, but that's still for plane wave. What I am thinking is something periodic in k space but not a plane wave.

Sorry, I misunderstood your question. It's not about periodic wave functions but particles in a periodic potential as models of crystals. This is a bit more complicated. So have a look in some solid-state physics book (like Ashcroft&Mermin) on Bloch states.

Likes topsquark
vanhees71 said:
Sorry, I misunderstood your question. It's not about periodic wave functions but particles in a periodic potential as models of crystals. This is a bit more complicated. So have a look in some solid-state physics book (like Ashcroft&Mermin) on Bloch states.
So are Bloch states actual wavefunctions ? because after all they can only be normalized in an individual unit cell, which means that depending on the unit cell you choose the electron will always be in there.

Related to About normalization of periodic wave function

1. What is normalization of a periodic wave function?

Normalization of a periodic wave function refers to the process of adjusting the amplitude of the wave function so that it adheres to the rules of quantum mechanics and has a probability of 1 when integrated over all space.

2. Why is normalization important in quantum mechanics?

Normalization is important in quantum mechanics because it ensures that the wave function represents a physically meaningful state that follows the laws of probability. A normalized wave function allows for accurate predictions of the behavior of a quantum system.

3. How is normalization of a periodic wave function achieved?

Normalization of a periodic wave function is achieved by dividing the wave function by the square root of the integral of its absolute square over all space. This ensures that the probability of finding the particle in any location is equal to 1.

4. What happens if a periodic wave function is not normalized?

If a periodic wave function is not normalized, it will violate the rules of quantum mechanics and may give incorrect predictions for the behavior of a quantum system. Additionally, it will not accurately represent a physically meaningful state.

5. Can all periodic wave functions be normalized?

Yes, all periodic wave functions can be normalized as long as they follow the rules of quantum mechanics. This includes having a finite amplitude and being continuous and single-valued over all space.