About noble gases compounds and XeO3

In summary, the conversation discusses the artificial creation of Xenon trioxide and its explosive nature, comparing it to other explosive substances like coke and mentos and TNT. The speaker also asks for information on the energy released during its decomposition and any books on noble gases compounds. They suggest that the energy released may be due to the reverse reaction of its standard formation, with an estimated energy of 400 KJ/mol.
Weissritter
First disclaimer: Xenon trioxide, while not existing naturally, can be created artificially. This question is not like "When did you stop beating your wife?" type.
So...I read this compound is explosive. Well, a coke and mentos is also explosive. TNT is too.
And then, I wanted to know is someone has any information of this compound, of how explosive it is, in the way of energy liberated in its decomposition.
And, if not, I would like to know if anyone has seen any book about noble gases compounds.
And yep, that's it for now.

Chemistry news on Phys.org
I think the energy released in explosion is due to reverse reaction of "Standard Formation" of Xenon Trioxide. So, probably the energy released is its standard formation enthalpy. It might be around 400 KJ/Mol.

Related to About noble gases compounds and XeO3

1. What are noble gases?

Noble gases are a group of chemical elements that are known for their low reactivity and stable electronic configuration. They are typically found in the last column of the periodic table and include helium, neon, argon, krypton, xenon, and radon.

2. Can noble gases form compounds?

Yes, noble gases can form compounds under certain conditions. However, they are generally considered to be inert and do not readily react with other elements. Only a few noble gas compounds have been discovered so far.

3. What is the chemical formula for xenon trioxide (XeO3)?

The chemical formula for xenon trioxide is XeO3. It consists of one xenon atom bonded to three oxygen atoms, forming a trigonal pyramidal molecular structure.

4. How is XeO3 prepared in the laboratory?

XeO3 can be prepared in the laboratory by reacting xenon gas with ozone (O3) at low temperatures (-78°C). This reaction results in the formation of XeO3 and oxygen gas.

5. What are the properties of XeO3?

XeO3 is a pale yellow gas at room temperature and pressure. It is highly reactive and can act as a strong oxidizing agent. It is also toxic and should be handled with caution. XeO3 is unstable and decomposes at room temperature, making it difficult to study in its pure form.