Efficiently Convert MS Word to PDF: Tips and Tricks for File Size Optimization

• Thread starter pmb_phy
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Pdf
In summary, the conversation discussed the importance of setting clear and specific goals in order to achieve success. It was also mentioned that it is important to break down larger goals into smaller, more manageable ones. Additionally, the need for consistent effort and determination was emphasized as key factors in reaching one's goals. Overall, the conversation highlighted the significance of having a clear direction and a strong work ethic in achieving personal and professional goals.
pmb_phy
I have an MS Word document which is about 80 pages long and 800k large. I had a friend convert it to a PDF for me but it came out to be over 6M large. Is that size to be expected? If not then how do I convert this to a PDF file corrrectly?

Thanks

Pete

Computer science news on Phys.org
dduardo said:
You could try using OpenOffice's built-in pdf exporter.

http://www.openoffice.org/
Excellant! Thanks mucho! Worked perfectly.

Pete

What is the best way to convert MS Word to PDF?

The best way to convert MS Word to PDF is to use the "Save As" function in MS Word and select "PDF" as the file type. This will ensure that the formatting and layout of the document are preserved.

Why is the file size of my converted PDF so large?

The file size of a converted PDF can be large due to embedded images, fonts, and other elements in the original MS Word document. These elements can be optimized to reduce the file size.

How can I optimize the file size of my converted PDF?

To optimize the file size of your converted PDF, you can compress images, use standard fonts, and minimize the use of special formatting such as shadows and gradients. You can also use online tools or software specifically designed for PDF optimization.

Will the quality of my converted PDF be affected by optimization?

Optimizing your PDF file size should not affect the quality of the document. However, compressing images too much or using low-quality fonts may result in a slight decrease in quality.

Are there any other tips for efficiently converting MS Word to PDF?

Yes, you can also try converting the document to PDF using Adobe Acrobat or other PDF conversion software. Additionally, make sure to proofread your document before converting to avoid any errors or formatting issues in the final PDF.