About light, photon mass and E=mc^2

I should have said "invariant mass" but put the other in brackets. And you can also have particles with zero invariant mass that move slower than c.
akashpandey
Light is form of energy.
Accordingto einstine theory if we concentrate the energy of light we have to get mass of light.

But their is no mass of light.

Acc.to E⇒mc2.

Physics news on Phys.org
akashpandey said:
Light is form of energy. Accordingto einstine theory if we concentrate the energy of light we have to get mass of light]

That's not what E=MC^2 says.

It says mass is a form of energy, like chemical energy is a form of energy, or gravitational potential energy is a form of energy. It does not say energy is mass.

Thanks
Bill

Likes Symmetry777
akashpandey said:
(...)we have to get mass of light.
(...)

Which mass? Rest mass? Show me a photon at rest :D

The concept of mass is a little bit more complicated than "m". And no, I do not fully understand it. Not even nearly so.

You may also be interested in: Invariant mass, mass in special relativity, gravitational lens, mass in general relativity, ...

Last edited:
akashpandey said:
Light is form of energy.
Accordingto einstine theory if we concentrate the energy of light we have to get mass of light.

Acc.to E⇒mc2.

See the last equation on this page: http://hyperphysics.phy-astr.gsu.edu/hbase/relativ/relmom.html#c4
Photons have no mass (rest mass), so plug in m0 = 0 into that equation and see what the energy expression becomes...
E = ? (insert equation here :wink:)

In modern physics (i.e., since 1908, when Minkowski discovered the mathematical structure behind the special theory of relativity) we are used to call mass the quantitity that's more accurately called "invariant mass". This is a quantity that is independent of the object's velocity and thus the same in any inertial frame of reference.

For a classical point particle, this invariant mass (which is the only sensible definition of mass one can think of) is defined as
$$p^{\mu}=m \frac{\mathrm{d} x^{\mu}}{\mathrm{d} \tau},$$
where ##x^{\mu}## is the particle's position in four-dimensional spacetime, i.e., ##x^0=c t## (##c##: speed of light, ##t## coordinate time wrt. to the frame of reference we work in, and ##\tau## the proper time of the particle). Since by definition of proper time
$$\frac{\mathrm{d} x^{\mu}}{\mathrm{d} \tau}\frac{\mathrm{d} x_{\mu}}{\mathrm{d} \tau}=c^2$$
we have
$$p_{\mu} p^{\mu}=m^2 c^2,$$
which shows that ##m^2## is a scalar quantity. Since ##p^0=E/c## this expression, split in temporal and spatial components, reads
$$\frac{E^2}{c^2}-\vec{p}^2=m^2 c^2.$$

A photon is somewhat tricky. You cannot fully understand it without quantum field theory. It is described by a massless quantum field with spin 1, the electromagnetic field. An energy-momentum eigenmode of the field is characterized by the three-momentum eigenvalues ##\vec{p}##, and the energy is given by the relation
$$\frac{E^2}{c^2}-\vec{p}^2=0.$$
This explains, why the field is called "massless", because that's a similar relation as for classical particles with an invariant mass of 0.

Of course, one shouldn't call the "invariant mass" "rest mass", because a massless quantum can not be at rest. It always moves with the speed of light wrt. any inertial observer.

Likes bhobba
vanhees71 said:
Of course, one shouldn't call the "invariant mass" "rest mass", because a massless quantum can not be at rest. It always moves with the speed of light wrt. any inertial observer.
Good point, and akashpandey, I hesitated at first, but wrote (rest mass) above since the article I linked to used the word "rest mass".

Related to About light, photon mass and E=mc^2

What is light?

Light is a form of electromagnetic radiation that is visible to the human eye. It is a type of energy that travels in waves and has both particle-like and wave-like properties.

What is a photon?

A photon is a particle of light that carries energy and has no mass.

How does E=mc^2 relate to light?

E=mc^2 is the famous equation derived by Albert Einstein that shows the relationship between mass and energy. In the equation, "E" represents energy, "m" represents mass, and "c" represents the speed of light. This equation shows that a small amount of mass can be converted into a large amount of energy, and vice versa.

Does a photon have mass?

No, a photon does not have mass. It is a particle that only carries energy and does not have any mass.

How does the concept of photon mass affect our understanding of the universe?

The concept of photon mass plays a crucial role in our understanding of the universe. It helps explain how light and other forms of electromagnetic radiation can travel through space without being affected by gravity. Additionally, the massless nature of photons also supports the theory of relativity and the concept of energy-mass equivalence.