About fractional parts and floor functions....

In summary, the expressions for the fractional part and the floor function have a period of 2 pi, just like the sine and cosine. The log function of this expression is i (2 pi x mod 2 pi), and the principal branch is 2 pi i {x}.
DreamWeaver
Hi all! :D

I wasn't really sure where to post this, but Analysis seemed a fair bet.

While searching on-line recently, I came across the following expressions for the Fractional Part \(\displaystyle \{x\}\) and Floor Function \(\displaystyle \lfloor x \rfloor\) respectively: \(\displaystyle \{x\}=\frac{i\log\left(-e^{-2\pi i x}\right)}{2\pi}+\frac{1}{2}\)\(\displaystyle \lfloor x \rfloor=x-\frac{i\log\left(-e^{-2\pi i x}\right)}{2\pi}-\frac{1}{2}\)
I can't remember where I found them, but just made a note of them... I seem to recall that a condition of both of the above was that the principal branch of the complex logarithm must be taken.

And so, finally, the question: can any of you shed intuitive light on the above? I've been trying to divine some sense out of those expressions, but sadly for me, I'm not Euler... :eek::eek::eek:All the best, and thanks in advance! (Sun)

Gethin

Physics news on Phys.org
The imaginary argument of the exponential function has a period of $2 \pi$, just like the sine and the cosine. That means that:
$$e^{2\pi i x} = e^{2\pi i (\lfloor x \rfloor + \{x\})} = e^{2\pi i \{x\}}$$

The log function of this expression is:
$$\log(e^{2\pi i x}) = i (2\pi x \text{ mod }{2\pi}) = i (2\pi \{x\} \text{ mod }{2\pi})$$

The principal branch is:
$$\text{Log}(e^{2\pi i x}) = 2\pi i \{x\}$$

I like Serena said:
The imaginary argument of the exponential function has a period of $2 \pi$, just like the sine and the cosine. That means that:
$$e^{2\pi i x} = e^{2\pi i (\lfloor x \rfloor + \{x\})} = e^{2\pi i \{x\}}$$

The log function of this expression is:
$$\log(e^{2\pi i x}) = i (2\pi x \text{ mod }{2\pi}) = i (2\pi \{x\} \text{ mod }{2\pi})$$

The principal branch is:
$$\text{Log}(e^{2\pi i x}) = 2\pi i \{x\}$$
Doh! But of course... :eek:

Thank you! (Hug)

Related to About fractional parts and floor functions....

1. What is a fractional part?

A fractional part, also known as a decimal or a decimal fraction, is the part of a number that comes after the decimal point. It represents a part of a whole number or unit and is expressed as a fraction of 1.

2. How do you calculate the fractional part of a number?

To calculate the fractional part of a number, you simply need to subtract the whole number part from the original number. For example, the fractional part of 6.75 would be 0.75 (6.75 - 6 = 0.75).

3. What is a floor function?

A floor function, denoted as floor(x), is a mathematical function that rounds a number down to the nearest integer. This means that any decimals in the number will be dropped, and the resulting number will be equal to or smaller than the original number.

4. How is the floor function used in real life?

The floor function is commonly used in various fields such as economics, computer science, and engineering. It can be used to calculate the number of items needed to complete a project, determine the number of employees required for a task, or round down a calculation result to avoid overestimation.

5. Can the floor function be applied to negative numbers?

Yes, the floor function can be applied to both positive and negative numbers. When applied to negative numbers, the floor function will round the number down to the nearest integer that is smaller or equal to the original number. For example, floor(-3.8) = -4.