About energy conservation in QM?

In summary, the conservation law still holds in quantum mechanics because the Hamiltonian of the system always commutes with itself. However, in the case of varying sources of energy, the conservation is not valid due to interactions between the system and the environment. This can be shown through the equation dA/dt = (partial A/partial t) + (i/hbar)[H,A], where A=H and H has explicit dependence on time due to coupling with the environment.
fxdung
Does energy conservation law still hold if the system contact with varying source of energy?
Because in QM the Hamintonian of the system always commune with itself,so the conservation law still correct.But if it is,where is the exchange energy between the system and the enviroment?

Physics news on Phys.org
So you are thinking of a composite system which you split into a heat bath (general term) and the system you are interested in?

If we call the system S and the bath B we can write the total Hamiltonian as ##H = H_S\otimes I_B + I_S\otimes H_B + H_{int}## where ##I_{S/B}## are unit operators on the respective Hilbert spaces.
Clearly the total Hamiltonian is related to some conserved quantity, the total energy of the combined system.
As is the case for the parts S and B when ##H_{int} = 0##, here ##H_{int}## contains the interactions.

Here we used that the Hilbert space ##\mathcal{H}_{total} = \mathcal{H}_S\otimes \mathcal{H}_B## and that ##(A\otimes B)\cdot (C\otimes D) = (A\cdot C) \otimes (B\cdot D)##

You can see this by showing ##[H_S\otimes I_B, I_S\otimes H_B] = 0## (trivial).
However in the presence of interations, which is the case you are looking at we generally no longer have this conservation.
The conservation remains valid if ##[H_S\otimes I_B, H_{int}] = [ I_S\otimes H_B, H_{int}] = 0##.

Does this clarify your question?

Edit; Demystifier explained it in simpler terms if this is a bit overkill

fxdung said:
Does energy conservation law still hold if the system contact with varying source of energy?
Because in QM the Hamintonian of the system always commune with itself,so the conservation law still correct.But if it is,where is the exchange energy between the system and the enviroment?
In general
$$\frac{dA}{dt}=\frac{\partial A}{\partial t} +\frac{i}{\hbar}[H,A]$$
so for ##A=H## we have
$$\frac{dH}{dt}=\frac{\partial H}{\partial t}.$$
So if ##H## has explicit dependence on time (due to coupling with the environment), then energy is not conserved.

Thank you very much for your helpings!

Last edited:

Related to About energy conservation in QM?

1. What is energy conservation in quantum mechanics?

Energy conservation in quantum mechanics refers to the principle that energy cannot be created or destroyed, but can only be transferred or transformed. This principle is a fundamental concept in physics and plays a crucial role in understanding the behavior of particles at the quantum level.

2. How is energy conserved in quantum systems?

In quantum mechanics, energy conservation is enforced by the laws of symmetry and conservation of angular momentum. These laws dictate that the total energy of a system must remain constant over time, even as individual particles within the system may change their energy states.

3. What are some examples of energy conservation in quantum mechanics?

One example of energy conservation in quantum mechanics is the conservation of energy in atoms. Electrons in an atom can only exist in specific energy levels, and when they transition from one level to another, the energy of the photon emitted or absorbed must be equal to the energy difference between the two levels.

Another example is the conservation of energy in nuclear reactions, where the total energy before and after the reaction must be the same. This is the basis for nuclear power and nuclear weapons.

4. How does energy conservation relate to the uncertainty principle?

The uncertainty principle in quantum mechanics states that it is impossible to know both the position and momentum of a particle simultaneously. This means that energy cannot be measured and conserved at the same time with perfect accuracy. However, the average energy of a system can still be conserved.

5. Why is energy conservation important in quantum mechanics?

Energy conservation is important in quantum mechanics because it allows scientists to accurately predict the behavior and interactions of particles at the quantum level. It also provides a fundamental understanding of how energy is transferred and transformed in various systems, which is crucial for many technological advancements and applications.