About different Green functions, I'm lost

In summary, the conversation was about the confusion surrounding different types of Green's functions in many-body theory, specifically zero-temperature GF and imaginary-time GF. The speaker learned that the most physically interesting GF is the retarded GF and that it can be obtained through analytic continuation of the imaginary-time GF. However, there was confusion about whether the retarded GF can also be obtained from the zero-temperature GF or if it is necessary to use imaginary-time GF. The speaker also questioned if it is possible to start with real-time GF and transform it into the retarded GF. The responder suggests focusing on the physics first and letting it guide the math.
wiser
Hello everyone:(Please forgive my poor English.)

I've been learning many-body theory for a year or so, however, I'm quite confused with different Green's functions (GF) there. One of the most things I want to get clear is about zero-temperature GF and imaginary-time GF (or Matsubara GF), both of which are time ordered.

I learned that one of the most physically interesting GF is retarded GF and all that we need to do is try to calculate it. In Mahan's book I got to know that through analytic continuation of imaginary-time GF we will get retarded GF. This is what I know.

My confusion is that if we could get retarded GF from zero-temperature GF or simply use real-time formalism if we only want to know about the ground state? Summations over Matsubara frequencies are really annoying. But I don't know how to relate the zero-temperature GF to retarded GF?

I wonder if it is possible that we begin by calculating real-time GF (time ordered) and through some transformations we get retarded GF? Or the only way to get retarded GF is to use imaginary-time GF and then analytic continuation, besides EOM and NEGF?

Looking forward to your reply! Thank you very much!
yours sincerely wiser

Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome to PF;
Looks to me like they are all part of the same overall function with different parameters to cope with specific situations. The trick is to do the physics first and the math second... let the physics lead the math.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Green's_function_(many-body_theory )

Last edited by a moderator:

Related to About different Green functions, I'm lost

What are Green functions and why are they important in science?

Green functions, also known as Green's functions, are mathematical tools used to solve differential equations in physics, engineering, and other scientific fields. They are important because they provide a method for finding solutions to complex problems that cannot be solved analytically.

How do Green functions differ from other types of functions?

Green functions are unique in that they represent the response of a system to a specific type of "forcing" function. This means that they can be used to find the solution to a problem for any arbitrary input, rather than just a specific set of initial conditions.

What are some common applications of Green functions?

Green functions have a wide range of applications, including solving problems in electromagnetics, quantum mechanics, fluid dynamics, and many other areas of science and engineering. They are also used in signal processing and image reconstruction.

What is the relationship between Green functions and boundary value problems?

Green functions are closely related to boundary value problems, as they provide a way to solve these types of problems. Green functions can be used to represent the solution to a boundary value problem as a linear combination of solutions to simpler problems.

Are there different types of Green functions?

Yes, there are different types of Green functions that are specific to different types of differential equations and boundary conditions. Some common types include Dirichlet, Neumann, and Cauchy Green functions, each of which applies to a different type of boundary condition.