About cartan and root generators of lie algebra

In summary, the conversation discusses the use of reality condition in understanding the classical Lie algebra structure using Cartan generators and root generators. The root generators are not necessarily Hermitian, while the Cartan generators are chosen to be Hermitian. The reality condition can be applied to the Cartan generators, which can then give information about the root generators.
quanti
I am reading the text Group Theory A Physicist's Survey of Ramond, in particular chapter 7.

He explains classical lie algebra structure using cartan generators and root generators.

He sometimes uses reality condition of structure constant( i think he supposes that all generators are

hermitian)

But i think root generators are not hermitian in general and i can't using reality condition of structure constant.

Can you tell me what i missed?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org

Hi there,

Thank you for bringing up this question. You are correct in noting that root generators are not necessarily Hermitian. In fact, the root generators in a Lie algebra are chosen to be anti-Hermitian. This is because the root generators are related to the structure constants of the Lie algebra, which are anti-symmetric matrices. Therefore, using the reality condition for Hermitian matrices would not be applicable in this case.

However, the reality condition can still be used in certain cases, such as when dealing with the Cartan generators. This is because the Cartan generators are chosen to be Hermitian, and they are related to the root generators through a linear combination. Therefore, the reality condition can be applied to the Cartan generators, which then gives information about the root generators.

I hope this helps clarify things for you. If you have any further questions, please don't hesitate to ask. Good luck with your studies!

Related to About cartan and root generators of lie algebra

1. What is a Cartan generator in Lie algebra?

A Cartan generator is an element of a Lie algebra that commutes with all other elements of the algebra. It is also known as a diagonal generator, as it plays a similar role to the diagonal elements of a matrix in linear algebra.

2. What is the significance of Cartan generators in Lie algebra?

Cartan generators play a crucial role in the structure of a Lie algebra. They help to define the Cartan subalgebra, which is a maximal abelian subalgebra of the Lie algebra. The Cartan subalgebra is important for understanding the root structure and representation theory of the Lie algebra.

3. What are root generators in Lie algebra?

Root generators, also known as root vectors, are elements of a Lie algebra that are used to construct the root space. The root space is a subspace of the Lie algebra that is spanned by the root generators and plays a central role in the representation theory of the Lie algebra.

4. How are Cartan and root generators related?

Cartan generators and root generators are closely related in the structure of a Lie algebra. The root generators are used to construct the root space, which in turn helps to define the Cartan subalgebra. The root generators also commute with the Cartan generators, making them important elements in the structure of the Lie algebra.

5. What is the role of Cartan and root generators in Lie algebra representations?

Cartan and root generators are essential for understanding the representation theory of a Lie algebra. The root generators help to define the root space, which is used to construct the weights of the Lie algebra. The Cartan generators then act as a basis for the weights, allowing for the construction of irreducible representations of the Lie algebra.