About air resistance in horizontal direction

In summary, the conversation discusses a derived formula for velocity in the horizontal direction after an object is thrown, taking into account the force of air resistance. The speaker shares their confusion about a specific part of the formula and asks for expert input on the derivation. The expert then points out an error in the differential equation and provides the correct form of the equation.
amiras
Hello, I was playing with formulas on air resistance and derived formula for velocity in horizontal direction after object was thrown. It looks reasonable but I started have confusion about it, i'd like for you great experts check on its derivation, so here it goes every v is v in x direction.

So I assumed that then object is thrown the only force that acts on it in x direction is air resistance opposite to its velocity, f = Dv^2, where D some constant.

so it should be: f = ma (since the force is in the same direction as acceleration (opposite to object velocity)), but I skipped this part and wrote:

-f = m dv/dx * dx/dt = mv dv/dx

-Dv^2 = mv dv/dx

-D/m dx = dv/v

and after integrating x from 0 to x, and from v0 to v, I've got: v = v0 * e^(-Dx/m)

It looks reasonably to me since velocity always decrease from its maximum value (v0), how its suppose to be.

Now after a while I got confused about this part: -f = mv dv/dx
if f = ma, according to me f [itex]\neq[/itex] mv dv/dx

Is it right because change in velocity over distance is in opposite direction as the force (and acceleration)? But velocity is also in different direction so why it is not like f = m(-v)(-dv/dx)

Physics news on Phys.org
The differential equation was solved incorrectly. The correct form should have been:
$$-\frac{dv}{v^2}=\frac{Ddx}{m}$$This integrates to $$\frac{1}{v}-\frac{1}{v_0}=\frac{Dx}{m}$$or$$v=\frac{v_0}{\left(1+\frac{Dv_0x}{m}\right)}$$

Related to About air resistance in horizontal direction

What is air resistance in the horizontal direction?

Air resistance in the horizontal direction is the force that opposes the motion of an object moving through the air in a horizontal direction. This force is caused by the molecules in the air colliding with the object and creating drag.

How does air resistance affect the motion of objects in a horizontal direction?

Air resistance can slow down the motion of an object in a horizontal direction by creating drag. This drag force increases as the speed of the object increases, and eventually, the drag force will be equal to the force propelling the object forward, causing it to reach a constant speed called terminal velocity.

What factors affect the amount of air resistance in the horizontal direction?

The amount of air resistance in the horizontal direction depends on the speed, size, and shape of the object, as well as the density and viscosity of the air. Objects with a larger surface area or a less aerodynamic shape will experience more air resistance.

How can air resistance be minimized in the horizontal direction?

Air resistance can be minimized by reducing the surface area of the object, making it more aerodynamic, or increasing its speed. The use of streamlined shapes and smooth surfaces can also help reduce air resistance.

Does air resistance only affect objects moving in a horizontal direction?

No, air resistance can affect objects moving in any direction. However, the amount of air resistance may vary depending on the direction of motion. For example, an object moving vertically may experience more air resistance due to gravity pulling it down and creating more drag.