About a screw (circular motion)

In summary, the conversation discusses a problem involving a M10-Screw with a pitch of 1.5 mm and a thread with a constant angular speed of 360 deg/s. The screw's head has a diameter of 16mm and the question is about the velocity and acceleration of a point on the outside diameter of the head. The professor provided the answer of 50.29 mm/s for velocity and 0.3158 m/s^2 for acceleration. The person speaking also calculated a velocity of 50.26 mm/s but was unsure about the acceleration until it was clarified that the formula for centripital acceleration in uniform circular motion can be used. The formula is \alpha=\omega^2*r.
fara0815
Hello folks! I am about to finish the chapter "Circular motion" in my script but there is the following problem that is keeping me busy and I would very appreciate every help I can get!

A M10-Screw with a pitch of 1.5 mm (means, that the screw goes 1.5 mm per revolution into the thread) is being screwed into a thread with a constant angular speed of 360 deg/s. The screw's head has a diameter of 16mm.What is the veloctiy of a point on the outside diameter of the head and what is its acceleration?
According to my professor, the velocity is 50,29 mm/s and the acceleration is 0,3158 m/s^2.

For the veloctiy I got with :

[tex] f= 1/s [/tex]
[tex] w=2\pif= 6,28 \frac{rad}{s} [/tex]
[tex] v=wr= 6,28 \frac{rad}{s} 8 mm = 50,24 \frac{mm}{s} [/tex]
which is close but I assume that it is a three-dimensional problem ant I do not how to solve it in 3d.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Seems fine. Perhaps your lecturer made a mistake or remembered the wrong thing, they are human too.

In addition to the angular v = wr term, you need to add in the velocity component of the 1.5mm/s in the axis of the screw. If you've used vectors before, just add the vectors. If not, draw a triangle with the radial velocity and the axial velocity as the sides, and calculate the hypotenuse.

Thank you very much guys! It makes a lot of sense if I think about it!
I actually get as absolute value of v 50,26 mm/s which is closer to my prof's answer. But what about the acceleration? There is not time I can work with !?

Do you know the formula for the centripital acceleration in uniform circular motion? That is the only component of acceleration, since the linear motion in the axis of the screw does not contribute to the acceleration.

oh man, you are totally right! I have tried the whole time to get the acceleration with the tangential velocity but I forgot that I can use the angular velocity. Thus
[tex] \alpha=\omega^2*r [/tex]

Related to About a screw (circular motion)

1. What is circular motion?

Circular motion is the movement of an object along a circular path, where the object continuously changes its direction but stays at a constant distance from a fixed point.

2. How does a screw use circular motion?

A screw uses circular motion to drive into or out of a surface. When the screw is turned, it moves along a circular path, allowing it to penetrate the surface and hold objects together.

3. How does the pitch of a screw affect its circular motion?

The pitch of a screw refers to the distance between each thread and it affects the speed and force of the screw's circular motion. A larger pitch will result in a faster rotation with less force, while a smaller pitch will require more force but result in a slower rotation.

4. What is the relationship between torque and circular motion in a screw?

Torque is the force that causes an object to rotate and is directly related to circular motion in a screw. The longer the lever or handle used to turn the screw, the greater the torque and therefore the faster the circular motion.

5. How is circular motion used in other aspects of science and technology?

Circular motion is used in various fields of science and technology, such as in the design of engines, turbines, and gears. It is also used in astronomy to describe the movement of planets around the sun and in physics to explain the motion of particles in circular accelerators.