Abelian Group Order: Find Largest Possible # of Subgroups

In summary: I was looking at the exponent, not the order. Thanks for the correction.In summary, the largest possible number of subgroups of order 3 in an abelian group G of order 540 is seven. This is determined by using the fundamental theorem of finite abelian groups and classifying all possible isomorphic groups of order 27, which includes Z27 and Z3 x Z3 x Z3 x Z20.
Dawson64
This isn't homework, it was proposed by a professor of mine and I'm dying here because the hint makes no sense to me

Let G be an abelian group of order 540, what is the largest possible number of subgroups of order 3 such a group G can have?
He said to classify abelian groups of order 27, but I'm not sure how that's related. Anyone know how to solve this?

Physics news on Phys.org
The fundamental theorem of group theory says that any group G of order 540 can be expressed as

[tex]G=G_1\times G_2 [/tex]

where G1 is a group of order 27 and G2 is a group of order 20.

If your searching for every group of order 3, then you'll actually be search for every element of order 3. (number of subgroups of order 3= number of elements of order 3 divides by 2). Since an element of order 3 can only be in G1, you'll be searching for elements of order 3 in a group of order 27. This will require classifying all groups of order 27...

micromass said:
The fundamental theorem of group theory says that any group G of order 540 can be expressed as

[tex]G=G_1\times G_2 [/tex]

where G1 is a group of order 27 and G2 is a group of order 20.

If your searching for every group of order 3, then you'll actually be search for every element of order 3. (number of subgroups of order 3= number of elements of order 3 divides by 2). Since an element of order 3 can only be in G1, you'll be searching for elements of order 3 in a group of order 27. This will require classifying all groups of order 27...

Is this an alright proof?

First note that Z(n) has exactly one d-subgroup, where d is any divisor of n.
Using the fundamental theorem of finite abelian groups, G can be isomorphic to either:
Z540, which has only one 3-subgroup,
Z3 x Z180, which has three 3-subgroups (namely, the subgroups generated by (1,0), (0, 60), and (1, 60))
Z3 x Z3 x Z60, which has seven (generated by (1,0,0), (0,1,0), (0,0,60), (1,1,0), (1,0,60), (0,1,60), and (1,1,60)), or
Z3 x Z3 x Z3 x Z20, which also has seven.

Note that there other possibilities to which G may be isomorphic, but you can check and see that none of them will yield more than seven 3-subgroups.

So the answer is seven.

And doesn't Z27 only have one 3-subgroup?

Yes, this seems to be correct.

Please note tho, that

Z3 x Z3 x Z60 = Z3 x Z3 x Z3 x Z20

Lol, whoops.

Related to Abelian Group Order: Find Largest Possible # of Subgroups

What is an Abelian group?

An Abelian group is a mathematical structure consisting of a set of elements and a binary operation that satisfies the commutative property. This means that the order in which the elements are combined using the binary operation does not affect the result.

What is the order of an Abelian group?

The order of an Abelian group is the number of elements in the group. It is denoted by |G|, where G is the group.

What is the largest possible number of subgroups in an Abelian group?

The largest possible number of subgroups in an Abelian group is equal to the order of the group. This is known as Lagrange's theorem.

How can I find the largest possible number of subgroups in an Abelian group?

To find the largest possible number of subgroups in an Abelian group, you can use the formula |G| = p1^k1 * p2^k2 * ... * pn^kn, where p1, p2, ..., pn are prime numbers and k1, k2, ..., kn are positive integers.

What is the significance of finding the largest possible number of subgroups in an Abelian group?

Finding the largest possible number of subgroups in an Abelian group can give insights into the structure and properties of the group. It can also be useful in solving problems related to the group, such as finding the orders of elements or determining the structure of the group itself.