Please help with Motion Problem, looks easy but is confusing (to me)

In summary, the conversation discusses a motion problem involving a boulder falling from a cliff and the height of the cliff. The original answer given by a student was 172.5m, but upon further calculations and discussion, it is determined that the correct answer is actually 327m. The conversation then concludes with a slight disagreement on the answer, with one person getting 328m and the other getting 356m.
accesskb
Hi,
I've spent a long time and wasted lots of paper on this question. It might be very easy to do but I have tried/used every one of the motion formulas and don't seem to get a right answer. This is one of those challenge question that our teacher has given us. He hasn't worked out the answer himself yet but one of the student who was able to get it says the answer is about 172.5m

Please could help me out with this Motion problem. Appreciate all the help. thnx

A hiker sees a boulder drop from the top of a cliff and notices that it takes 1.5seconds for the boulder to fall the last 1/3 of the way to the ground. What is the height of the cliff (in meters)?

here is a rough pic I drew:
http://www.clubbersnation.com/math/physics_problem.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
No, the distance is about 327 m. You can tell that 172.5 m is wrong, because you can find out how long it takes to fall 172.5 m and 2/3 of that, and their difference doesn't work out to be 1.5 s.

You know the formula for how far it falls in a given time, y(t). Turn it around and solve it for how long it takes to fall a given distance, t(y). You know that t(y=h)-t(y=2/3 h) = 1.5 s, so you should be able to solve that for h.

Last edited:
thnks Ambitwistor for the explanation :)
I have never tried any problems like this before. I shall work it out now. :smile:

My answer is about 356m. There's no difference between my solution and Ambitwistor's .

LTK

Luong tu Khanhwrote
My answer is about 356m. There's no difference between my solution and Ambitwistor's .

Looks like a difference of 29 meters to me! I get Ambitwistor's answer (well, actually I get 327.7 m which I would round to 328).

1. What is the definition of motion?

Motion is the change in position of an object over time in relation to a reference point.

2. How is speed different from velocity?

Speed is a measure of how fast an object is moving, while velocity is a measure of how fast an object is moving in a specific direction.

3. Can you explain the difference between distance and displacement?

Distance is the total length of the path an object travels, while displacement is the straight-line distance from the starting point to the ending point.

4. How do you calculate average speed?

Average speed is calculated by dividing the total distance traveled by the total time it took to travel that distance.

5. What is the equation for calculating velocity?

The equation for velocity is velocity = displacement / time, or v = d/t.