A work done comparison ( i find it confusing so a little help)

In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of work in relation to two different scenarios, one involving lifting a rock and the other involving pushing a table with constant force. The assumptions of a constant gravitational field and non-zero coefficient of friction are made. It is concluded that the work done by Bubba is greater due to the constant velocity and idealization of the object's movement. The conversation also touches on the idealization of the object's movement and its relation to kinetic energy.
jacknife
[Mentor's note: this post does not use the homework template because it was originally posted in a non-homework forum. It was moved here because it had already received some help.]

----------

Weiping lifts a rock with a weight of 1.0 N through a height
of 1.0 m, and then lowers it back down to the starting point. Bubba
pushes a table 1.0 m across the
oor at constant speed, requiring
a force of 1.0 N, and then pushes it back to where it started. (a)
Compare the total work done by Weiping and Bubba.

I think Bubba did the greater work because he was pushing the object at a constant velocity where as weiping only lifted it . Is my assumption correct?

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
N is a unit of force, not weight, so this question makes no sense.

The real assumptions you have here are not specified clearly. They are:

A1. The weight is lifted and lowered in a constant gravity field.

A2. The table is also subject to the gravity field, and it has a non-zero coefficient of friction with the floor.

With these assumptions, the rest is simple. A constant gravity field is potential, so total work done on it or by it depends solely on the difference in the heights of the initial and final position. The work done on or by friction depends solely on the distance (not to be confused with displacement!) covered.

mal4mac said:

Isn't weight of an object force directed towards the center of the earth?

mal4mac said:

Weight is a force, so measuring it in Newtons is perfectly fine.

voko said:
The real assumptions you have here are not specified clearly. They are:

A1. The weight is lifted and lowered in a constant gravity field.

A2. The table is also subject to the gravity field, and it has a non-zero coefficient of friction with the floor.

With these assumptions, the rest is simple. A constant gravity field is potential, so total work done on it or by it depends solely on the difference in the heights of the initial and final position. The work done on or by friction depends solely on the distance (not to be confused with displacement!) covered.
ok so if we assume the Gravitational field is constant and there is no friction then who did the greater amount of work?
But if we assume there is no friction then a forward force of 1 N would cause the table to accelerate forward but it moves at a constant velocity so let's assume there is 1 N frictional force then?

mal4mac said:
Weight is force, so you objection makes no sense.

jacknife said:
ok so if we assume the Gravitational field is constant and there is no friction then who did the greater amount of work?

If there is no friction, why did Bubba need to apply 1 N to move the table?

voko said:
If there is no friction, why did Bubba need to apply 1 N to move the table?

i just realized that a moment ago edit :P

jacknife said:
I think Bubba did the greater work because he was pushing the object at a constant velocity where as weiping only lifted it . Is my assumption correct?
Why don't you just apply the definition of work to both cases, and see what values for work done you get?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Work_(physics)

Thats the first thing i did it gives weiping did 20 J and Bubba did 2 J but what confuses me is that the object is moving with a constant velocity so has some kinetic energy so shouldn't work done by bubba be the sum of the kinetic energy and the work done in moving the object?

jacknife said:
Thats the first thing i did it gives weiping did 20 J

How did you get this?

and Bubba did 2 J

Correct.

what confuses me is that the object is moving with a constant velocity so has some kinetic energy so shouldn't work done by bubba be the sum of the kinetic energy and the work done in moving the object?

What we have here is an idealization. Of course it is not practically possible to get a stationary object, and move it back and forth with constant velocity - the velocity has to go from zero to some value, then it needs to change sign, and then go back to zero. We idealize it as follows:

(1) The object is accelerated to a constant velocity in infinitesimal time and over infinitesimal distance. The requires work E.

(1) The object is decelerated to zero velocity in infinitesimal time and over infinitesimal distance. The requires work -E.

E + (-E) = 0, so we ignore it.

jacknife said:
Thats the first thing i did it gives weiping did 20 J and Bubba did 2 J but what confuses me is that the object is moving with a constant velocity so has some kinetic energy so shouldn't work done by bubba be the sum of the kinetic energy and the work done in moving the object?
If the gravitational force on the rock is 1 N, what is its mass?

If you push with a 1 N force against an object that is coming toward you through a 1 meter distance, how much work have you done?

voko said:
How did you get this?

Correct.

What we have here is an idealization. Of course it is not practically possible to get a stationary object, and move it back and forth with constant velocity - the velocity has to go from zero to some value, then it needs to change sign, and then go back to zero. We idealize it as follows:

(1) The object is accelerated to a constant velocity in infinitesimal time and over infinitesimal distance. The requires work E.

(1) The object is decelerated to zero velocity in infinitesimal time and over infinitesimal distance. The requires work -E.

E + (-E) = 0, so we ignore it.

I got that by the work done in lifting the object plus the work done in lowering it back down mgΔh+mgΔh

Related to A work done comparison ( i find it confusing so a little help)

1. What is a work done comparison?

A work done comparison refers to the process of comparing the amount of work or effort put into two different tasks or projects. It can also refer to comparing the results or outcomes of the work done on these tasks.

2. How is work done measured in a comparison?

In a work done comparison, work can be measured in various ways depending on the task or project. It can be measured in terms of time, resources used, skill level required, or the end result achieved. It is important to establish a clear measurement method before conducting a work done comparison.

3. What is the purpose of a work done comparison?

The purpose of a work done comparison is to analyze and evaluate the effectiveness and efficiency of different approaches to completing a task or project. It can help identify areas for improvement and inform decision-making for future projects.

4. What factors should be considered in a work done comparison?

When conducting a work done comparison, it is important to consider factors such as the scope of the task, the resources available, the skill level of the individuals involved, and the desired outcome. Other factors, such as external influences or constraints, should also be taken into account.

5. How can a work done comparison be used in scientific research?

A work done comparison can be a useful tool in scientific research as it allows for a systematic analysis of different methods or approaches to conducting experiments or collecting data. It can also help in identifying the most efficient and effective methods for achieving research goals.